Heart Rate (Samsung Galaxy Watch Active2, Locus Map Classic)

Jan-Hendrik shared this question 3 months ago
Answered

Hello,

is it possible to use the heart rate sensor of the Galaxy Watch Active 2 with Locus Map Classic (e.g. with Locus Map Pro Watch)?

Kind regards Jan-Hendrik

Replies (1)

photo

Hi,

I'm sorry but the Tizen watch addon does not support heart rate.

photo

Thanks for your reply. But with the newer ones like Galaxy Watch 6 it is possible?

photo

Yes, Wear OS watches support this feature.

photo

Nope, Locus will not display HR from Galazy Watch 6.

photo

There was a small bug blocking the HR from Wear OS devices. We've fixed it, try the newest Beta version from https://bit.ly/lmVersionsTest.

photo

Tried it. Sadly, there's no difference:( Here's how it goes:

When Galaxy Watch 6 Classic is connected (via BT) to the phone through Galaxy Wearable Android app, which provides a linkk between Samsung watch and any Android phone, Locus Map Classic (for Wear OS) works OK on the watch but the watch itself is utterly invisible in Locus - I assume it's because Samsung Wearable app "grabs" the whole connection for itself.

Then, if we temporarily unlink Galxy Watch 6 Classic from the phone (in Galaxy Wearable app) and connect it via "clean" BT, the watch becomes immediately visible in Locus, connects to it but there's no HR reading ("no proper data"). Also in this scenario Locus Map Classic (for Wear OS) refuses to work, saying watch is not connected to phone,, because watch is unlinked in Galaxy Wearable app (although technically it is still connected via "clean" BT connection).

It's a kinda vicious circle:)
Fun thing is that exactly the same scenario was endemic to my old Galaxy S3 Frontier running on Tizen. Old Samsunng's Galaxy Fit2 smartband has no problem showing HR in Locus but it has no Tizen or Wear OS and, of course, cannot run Locus Map Classic.

photo

- Connect your Galaxy watch with your phone via the Samsung Galaxy app.

- install Locus Map Watch on your Galaxy watch

- install Locus Map Watch on your phone

- start Locus Map Watch on your watch and turn on heart rate recording in its settings (should be on by default)

- start track recording on Locus Map Watch - Locus Map is recording the track including your heart rate

photo

Hi, I have the same problem. I don't understand what I have to do. Would you be so kind as to explain how and what to install so that even I, a little bit dumb, can understand. Thank you very much

photo

What Michal writes is correct, BUT...

Locus Map Watch + Locus on the phone do allow recording of HR when track is recorded on Galaxy 6 Classic. Well, it even displays HR in real time on the phone, if, say, one uses an overlayed display panel with HR slot, as I do. BUT...

This scenario is only true for recording a track, whcih is a serious limitation. While it's OK for recording (obviously), it's still not possible to display HR on an overlayed control panel in real time for any other scenario.

Say, I fire up Locus on my phone (my overlayed semi-transparent panel pops out automatically) just to look at the map when walking through the forest. No recording, no nothing, I just want to look at the map from time to time and see my HR at a glance. Nope, in this scenario it does not work.

Also, when navigating along the track it's the same story - no HR in real time on Locus on my phome.

To sum it up: recording and displaying HR is possible only when recording a track via Locus Map Watch add-on.

I guess this limitation could be removed somehow, since it seems that Locus DOES allow displaying HR in real time but only in one scenario. So the ability IS there but somehow is limited only to recording a track via watch add-on.

Is my sneaky suspicion correct?

photo

@Pier There was a small bug blocking the HR from Wear OS devices. We've fixed it, try the newest Beta version from https://bit.ly/lmVersionsTest.

photo

@Piotr "recording and displaying HR is possible only when recording a track via Locus Map Watch add-on" - yes, and unfortunately, it will stay as it is because at the moment the devs have other priorities than modifications of Locus Map Watch

photo

OK, clear enough, thanks.

Hope ypu will tackle the issue once resources allow it.

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file