BT HW Buttons don't turn on screen anymore when screen is off

Martin Lichtblau shared this problem 59 days ago
Closed

Less than a month ago this still worked. Now pressing the volume up button (keycode 24) on my bluetooth remote doesn't turn on the screen anymore. However the hw buttons only don't work anymore when the screen is off. I don't know why it stopped working. I do remember making a security update on my Pixel 6a a week ago. Is it only broken on my device?
I love this feature and really want to use this feauture on my two week bike trip. Help wanted!

Replies (10)

photo

@Menion Any idea how I can quickly fix this?

photo

Hello Martin,

you caught me on vacation so I`m limited in what I may try here.

There were no changes on the app side I`m aware of. Do you have excluded Locus Map from battery optimizations on your device? What about "Battery saver" on your device? This may affect this as well.

photo

Ohh, sorry for interrupting! :-/
Thanks for the info. So something on my side changed.
Locus has unrestricted battery usage, so that shouldn't be the problem. Logcat shows that the BT button event arrives even when screen is turned off. I also unistalled Locus entirely to no avail. Perhaps Android really changed sth. I tried to using other apps to turn on the screen with hw/bt buttons, but they all say that you require root or run an adb command after every reboot (see Button Mapper). Well, so that's it for now.

THANK you! I wish you a great vacation! :-) I'm going to central central alps tomorrow. Let's hope for good weather!

photo

It works for me. I think something with Android permission

photo

No need to sorry! :)

I`ll give it a try once at home next week, not sooner, sorry. Anyway, I`m not sure I`ll be able to help ...

What about enabling "Locus Map as a service" in the app settings, or turning recording or navigation on? This forces the app to remain active even if hidden or the screen is turned off.

photo

No need to hurry. It is how it is.
Locus is already running as a service and recording won't help either.

photo

If you don't mind a little extra battery use then enable Always-On-Display works for me , plus KeyMapper, Tasker, Locus/Tasker plugin, with bluetooth mini gamepad and headphone buttons, you can do lots.

photo

Hi Martin, others,

I'm testing it and not sure why I've not noticed this earlier, but on my Pixel device with A15, this does not work as well. As I search, seems that receiving key events when the screen if off is no longer possible for some time. Currently, I see no working solution to this issue, sorry.

photo

Thanks for the info!
So Android made some changes, however, I can't find any official documentation on it. Sad to hear that there isn't a workaround. Let's wait and see: perhaps this is a bug in Android and not a new security (or whatever) feature.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file