Locus 4: how to close gaps in recorded tracks

Mike Bosschaert shared this question 58 days ago
Answered

Hi,

In most of the tracks I record there are several gaps, mostly at points where recording was paused for some time. I have not found a way to reconnect the two parts of the tracks. In the app there is a possibility to create a gap, but not to remove a gap. What am I missing?

Thanks,

Mike

Replies (9)

photo

Hi Mike,

could you please send a sample of such a track here for testing?

photo

Hi Michal, here is an example. At both places where there is a gap, I put recording on pause for a while. Later I tried to remove the gap by removing part of the track surrounding the gap but without succes.

photo

Such small gaps can be repaired in the track editor with the "Insert/edit trackpoint" option:

6a423598a8dbfa55cd27bfe1c64a0e3e

More at https://docs.locusmap.app/doku.php?id=manual:user_guide:tracks:editing#inserting_editing_trackpoints

photo

Hi Michal, unfortunately I've not been able to reproduce your solution. In your example I cannot exactly see what you do after you've clicked 'insert/edit trackpoint'. In my track the gap remains open.

Mike

photo

Select one of two endpoints in question, then select insert/edit mode. You can move the green bullets, or use the brown ones to fill in more points

photo

Do you mean to 'correct' it by moving the dots to make them (to look like they) coincide? In fact the track is continuous but the part between two track points has no colour.

photo

OK, I've analysed the gpx file and removed all surrounding trackpoints. It appears that Locus, where a tracking pause is started, inserts

</trkseg>
<trkseg>

At the place of the gap. When I remove these 'end-and-start' xml-tags of trkseg the track becomes continuous (see images).

Would it be an idea to add an edit-option: Remove all Gaps (or Remove this Gap)? which removes the instances of adjecent </trkseg>\n<trkseg> occurences?

photo

In the gpx editor (Win) (freeware) you therefore have a function by right click that is named "bind all tracksegments" (trkseg).

photo

Good to know there are standard applications available to do this, but it would be way more covenient to have the option available within Locus.

photo

There is such an option in the app but only on one side of the gap (I myself forgot that this option exists :). Tap the other trackpoint on the opposite side of the gap in the track editor, open the tools and the "remove gap" option is there:

ed189bea17b218502e8420a968a8c969

We'll alter this editing option a bit so that it is available from both sides of the gap. Thanks for the hint :)

photo

Ahhhh... great, this is what I was looking for. The problem is in the translation. I used the Dutch language setting where it said: 'Voeg opening toe' (which means "Create a gap"). Also the icon is somewhat confusing as it suggests to create a diversion of the track.

photo

The translation and the icon are OK when you tap the first trackpoint AFTER the gap. When you tap the trackpoint BEFORE the gap, it is also OK:

f7cbaa00bc26231e6322182cde6d3ec2

We will change the menu for the trackpoint after the gap so that the "remove gap " is there too - now it's a bit confusing.

photo

Great. Indeed you probably made it too intelligent, I had not noticed that that menu-item changed depending on which point is selected. I noticed the greyed out items for removing segments at the beginning and end of a track, but I missed this one. Sorry!

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file