Automatic zooming based on distance to next navigation waypoint

Patrik shared this idea 48 days ago
Gathering feedback

Currently, automatic zooming works based on speed, but that makes it very easy to miss a turn, especially when going faster.

Most navigation apps will zoom in on the map when next turn is coming, so that you can clearly see where to turn exactly.

Since navigation waypoints are created automatically when using LoRouter, I think it should be possible to calculate distance to nearest such waypoint, and zoom in on the map when getting close to the turn, then return to original zoom level from before the turn (or one based on speed if speed based zooming is enabled).

This could be added as an optional setting, independent of speed-based automatic zooming, i.e. it should be possible to enable it even when speed based zoom control is disabled.

Inspiration can be taken from Google Maps for example.

This feature would be useful for us offroad motorbike riders.

Replies (6)

photo

The additional zoom for navigation instructions was introduced here. https://help.locusmap.eu/topic/automatically-zoom-in-at-navigation-instruction

The option without automatic zoom is missing and has already been discussed there. But it is not that important.

A fixed zoom level for navigation instructions would be more important:
Why:
When driving fast, every millisecond counts. The view of the screen must be fast and the information must be captured quickly and in the usual way. If you look away from the road, it quickly becomes dangerous.

Now I have different zoom levels for instructions every time. If I'm driving very fast and I'm at level 15, I zoom to 17. If I am driving slowly and have level 20, the zoom level is 22. For me, however, it is optimal if I have level 21 for instructions. And that every time. No matter how fast I drive.
I just want to recognize exactly which road I have to take. If there's only one right turn, that's no problem, but often 2 or 3 turn right. And then I need level 21.
It would therefore be helpful if the zoom could be specified in the navigation instructions.

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

photo

Hello Patrik, others,

this option already exists in the "Automatic zooming" settings.

106828f0093fb2f7dd4b19ff0c594a1b

Have you tried it?

---

@freischneider

I simply do not agree, sorry. When driving 130 kph on the highway, I do not need the same level of detail (needs to predict a longer distance) than simply in the city at 50 kph. From my point of view, speed is crucial here. And I believe that all car navigation systems do it this way. Can't image that app zooms to the zoom level 18 on the highway, when I need to see a 1 km before head.

photo

There is also only one exit on the highway. I don't need any precise details.
I'm talking about cycling here. It could be an option. If you prefer to use it automatically at 2 zoom levels, you can leave it as it is.
I'm currently working with Tasker and it works most of the time. There were also times when it didn't work. Therefore such an option would be desirable.

photo

Alternatively, it would help if you zoom in 3 zoom levels.
But that's probably not good for everyone either
Selectable how many zoom levels in ?

photo
photo

Sorry, I missed that checkbox!

Unfortunately, it seems to be bound to speed-based zooming, which is no bueno (makes it hard to judge distances when looking at a glance on the screen while rallying).

I also believe that navigational instruction should cause the app to zoom as much as possible, while making sure that both your current location and the location of the turn fit on the screen, and as such, the closer you get, the more zoomed in it becomes, no matter the speed.

It should also consider type of the road you're on - highways should permit different zoom level range than city for example.

Might need to think this through some more.

Note that I haven't tried the "Extra zoom in on navigation commands" option yet.

photo

I think this idea is quite good. Zoom in 2 steps at the beginning and 3 steps when you get closer. That way you could avoid another option.

photo

Two zoom levels are also not enough for me. I don't need a fixed one.
But if the 2 then become 3 zoom levels, I would be satisfied. Alternatively selectable.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file