Moving Locus 3 Pro to a new smartphone

Uwe Deutscher shared this problem 2 months ago
In Progress

I had to buy a new smartphone, because the former, a Sony Xperia XZ Premium got outdated from the point of performance and the battery got worn out.

Because Sony Xperia smartphones have external SD cards, I copied all the files from Locus 3 Pro to the Android Data folder on the SD Card and after having installed Locus on the new Sony Xperia 1 V I set this directory as the main directory.

I succeeded in recovering all my maps, the old bitmaps, as well as the newer vector maps.

But, unfortunately all my private waypoints, routes and tracks are missing!

What can I do to recover those?

Where does Locus 3 Pro save private waypoints, tracks and routes?

I still have access to my old smartphone.

Replies (13)

photo

Make a complete backup on the old one using Backup Manage. Then restore it on the new one

photo

I tried many things on my old smartphone including moving Locus directory trees from the internal memory to Android/data and Android/media on my SD card. My old smartphone runs Android 9.0 so I have full access to those folders.

Unfortunately in the course of this in my old smartphone my private waypoints, routes and tracks are gone now as well, so a backup won't help until I managed to restore them!

But I didn't delete any files for sure!

But I need instructions to restore my private waypoints, routes and tracks in my old phone now, before I can run a backup.

Where and how does Locus 3 Pro save private waypoints, tracks and routes?

I had all my maps in the Locus folders on the SD card, but I noticed that Locus 3 Pro uses its folders in the internal memory nevertheless, because there are lots of files having current date and time there.

I have no idea, why I Iost my private waypoints, routes and tracks on my old smartphone, but I am absolutely sure I didn't delete any files!

Please help me restore them!

photo

Lucky you have access to your old smartphone still.

So, navigate to the private Locus folder and copy the whole ../data/.. structure. tracks.db and waypoint.db are residing there in the database subsolder.

I'd copy them to both privte Locus folders on the new phone, INT and EXT SD, then add a point and look which waypoint.db gets updated. Then you know the live one and have the other as historical backup on the new phone :-) Space is not a problem anymore in 2024 ...

Cheers

Michael

photo
photo

Thank you for your answer.

But, what you wrote, ist exactly, what I already did!

I copied the complete folders tree of Android/Data/menion/Locus/files to my SD Card to the Android/Media folders.

But, Locus ignored it.

Then I copied it back to the Android/data folder in the SD card and set Locus to use this as main folder.

From that moment on I lost all my private waypoints and tracks on my old smartphone.

I just don't know, why this happened.

I didn't delete anything.

I just moved it from data to media and back.

I moved it to media, because this is the only folder I can access from my new Android 14 smartphone.

I have full access to all folders on the SD card and the internal memory on my old smartphone under Android 9.0.

I just don't understand why this lead to the loss of all my private waypoints and waypoints in my old smartphone.

I would really appreciate any help to restore my private waypoints and routes.

They are the work of more thank ten years using Locus!

All those files in the folders are still there!

I didn't delete anything!

photo

Order of actions is key here. If you change the main folder in the Locus settings, Locus will copy what it finds in the original folder and copies it over the target. I have been there myself.

This is why I proposed to copy it from the old Smartphone to BOTH places.

Only AFTER that start Locus, of course.

photo

So ist looks like from the moment I changed the main folder Locus has overwritten all my private waypoints, routes and tracks I have collected over the past more than ten years with completely empty ones from the internal memory?

photo

You wrote you have access to your old smartphone with the complete and intact data set. Hence start from there, again.

photo

Also: even the old Locus Pro had a backup feature, which includes all settings and data sets.

photo

I didn't know about a backup feature.

Whenever I moved to a new smartphone I just took the SD card and put it into the new smartphone.

I set Locus in my old smartphone to use the SD card as the main folder.

From that moment on Locus had overwritten all my files in my SD card with empty ones from the internal memory.

photo

Are you sure the ../data/.. folder ever was on your SD card on the old phone?

Did you check the INT SD .../data/.. folder on your old phone? Well, just checked - you wrote "copied" to the SD card.

Hence the original INT SD Locus structure must be intact to start from scratch.

1) copy INT Locus to SD Card into a /backup/Locus folder (just to be safe)

2) copy SD Locus to INT SD Locus place on new phone

3) copy SD Locus to EXT SD Locus place on new phone

Only then start Locus and look what is used going forward.

Cheers

Michael

PS: "backup" is a term you will never forget in the future, right? And Locus even has an automatic feature to do that for you.

photo

The problem ist, I can't copy or move anything to the Android/data folders on my new smartphone, neither on the internal memory, nor on my SD card.

This was really confusing and totally surprising me.

I didn't know that Android 14 built a prison like only IOS had before!

I even cannot view the files in those folders.

I tried several file managers, but there ist absolutely no way!

This ist prevented by Android 14.

Exactly this problem was the reason, why I did all this in my old smartphone under Android 9.0.

There I have full access to all folders.

Then I put my SD card into the new smartphone and set Locus to use the external SD card as main folder.

And this was the fatal mistake!

Locus had overwritten all the files I copied from the old smartphone with empty ones from the internal memory of the new smartphone.

I really dangerous and bad feature of Locus!

The worst thing is, because they are lost on the external SD card, they are now lost in my old smartphone as well!

More than ten years of collecting waypoints, routes and tracks gone!

photo

Please have a look into the INT SD Locus structure on your old phone. You said you COPIED the stuff. Hence it should be there still.

photo

Please have a look into the INT SD Locus structure on your old phone. You said you COPIED to the SD card. Hence the stuff should be there still.

photo

You mentioned COPY multiple times above. Hence you should have the .../media/... stuff, too.

photo

Hi Uwe,

I'm not sure I can understand what in fact happened, nevertheless, if you just copied the app's data it means the original should have remained in the original storage, right? In that case, please follow the instructions here: https://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php?id=manual:faq:move_to_new_phone.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file