Offline LoMaps maps performance issues

Mr Simon Salloway shared this problem 2 months ago
Not a Problem

Hi,

I've used Locus for a a few years now, as a recreational walker not that frequently, maybe a few times per year. Primarily as a backup to my paper routes, just to double check my exact location, get my bearings and as another reference.

I was in the English Lake District earlier this week hiking up Hay Stacks near Buttermere, which is quite remote with a 560m ascent which was fantastic.

I tried to use Locus on a few occasions as the route and path was a little unclear as it was a rough path that disappeared often, only to find it hung and didn't draw in all the map squares when zooming. It was basically unusable so I have up.

I had a week before updated all my offline LoMaps covering the areas, the app itself is up to date at version 4.24.3 on Android 14 running on a mid-range Samsung Galaxy phone.

Since back in civilisation with good connectivity it seems to work fine again.

Unfortunately the time it would actually have been really useful Locus failed me.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Simon

Replies (6)

photo

Hi,

please have a look at a few tips on how to improve the app's performance: https://docs.locusmap.app/doku.php?id=manual:faq:locus_performance. Is there any case that relates to your way of using the app?

photo

I did have map shading on and the 'England' overlap, other than that it's default settings using the standard vector LoMaps. Like I said it seems to work fine now I'm back online, so it didn't like no mobile or WiFi signal.

Maybe I've got some setting wrong somewhere to do with offline mode?

photo

"The 'England' overlap" - what map was used for this overlay?

photo

I think I had duplicated the maps, I had LoMaps England selected, plus England as an overlay. That probably didn't help. Question - do I have to specifically select an offline downloaded map as the base map, or does Locus realise I'm offline and used the offline maps automatically? I wonder if I'd done something there? I don't use Locus very often, so maybe this is just user error? Advice and guidance welcome!

photo

Locus Map is not that smart. When you have an online map selected and no internet is available, Locus Map displays a blank screen with some error message. Each map is selected manually. The overlay of two offline vector maps must have decreased the performance significantly - I'm quite sure it was the cause of the lagging.

photo

Thanks Michal! I'm actually in the IT industry, currently at a global software company, so my bad ;-) Because I only use Locus occasionally, I'd not really spent the time to fully get to know the app. Lesson learnt! Thanks again.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file