Routing service can't find start point

Donald Newlands shared this problem 48 days ago
In Progress

Locust needs to have a way of overriding routing restrictions. I get this completely unhelpful message, " routing service can't find start point" all the time. Sometimes it's helpful to know if there is an actual obstacle to completing route or a legal reason not to go a particular way. But often in my part of the world, OSM is unreliable, roads are tagged inconsistently and access policies and land access licensing varies a lot. If I have a license to ride my bike in an area that is otherwise marked as private roads, it really sucks that locus is unable to route me, especially when I am offline and need to find a way home.

I ride bikes on gravel and trails a lot and use Strava to build routes because it seems to have a sensible of permissiveness about routing and it has a great heat map showing where other users go. But if the route doesn't work out and I'm offline, I'm SOL with Locus. :(

Replies (2)

photo

You don't mention whether LM4 Route Planner or online Web Planner. With the LM4 Route Planner, even if I place a point well away from any "way", the router still picks a reasonable route onto the road for the next point. Unsure why your experience is different, but maybe try switching to "Draw Manually" for bad sections? If the underlying OSM data is unreliable the router can't perform magic, or you could become an OSM Mapper & contribute to updating the map data.

photo

Hi,

what router and routing profile do you use?

Leave a Comment

Attach a file