Locus Classic - Poor GPS Performance?

Steve L shared this question 16 days ago
Answered

Hello,

I recently went on a cycle tour of central Austria near Salzburg. This was during storm Boris that brought all of the rain and flooding north of us. We mostly had continuous light rain and clouds.

On multiple occasions (and locations) I was extremely surprised to find that Locus could not get a GPS location fix! Basically I could not use Locus to navigate! This is a BIG problem if you are in a foreign country riding a bike with temperatures in the upper 30s to low 40s in constant rain.

Luckily I also had access to to Ride With GPS on the same phone. Somehow it managed to get a GPS fix and navigate. Another rider that I was riding with also had a Wahoo device and it was able to get a fix and navigate.

Can anyone explain this behavior as to why RWGPS could get a GPS fix and navigate while Locus couldn't?

The phone is a Galaxy S10 running the latest Android 12.

Thanks,

Steve

Replies (5)

photo

Hi Steve,

Locus Map does not get a GPS fix - your phone does upon the app's request. Locus Map thus receives location data from your phone and processes it, e.g. displays the location on the map screen. Nevertheless, Locus Map offers a few ways to optimize the GPS data and that may have influenced the outcome. Especially, the "Google assisted location" parameter in settings > GPS&sensors. Recently we've been experiencing that Locus Map has better results with this parameter turned OFF.

photo

I have other observations. Satellites are detected for a very long time if an alternative detection source is disabled in Locus, regardless of the phone's location settings, both in the "Satellites Only" detection mode and in the "All sources" detection mode. If you enable an alternative definition source in Locus, and select "All sources" in the phone settings, the location will be determined very quickly, within 1-2 seconds. If the phone settings are set to "Satellites only", it will take a long time, but much faster than in the first case.

photo

Well, I checked the app and the Google Assisted location was already OFF. During this incident I was also running in Airplane mode to save battery. This still doesn't explain why RWGPS could get a location fix and Locus couldn't on the same device and in the same location.

As for the phone settings Location accuracy (Wi-fi I think) is ON. However, this may be moot when the device is in airplane mode. Wi-Fi scanning and Bluetooth scanning are also OFF.

BTW, what are the effects when not actively navigating but following a GPX track on a map by periodically waking up the phone and checking your position? In this mode the GPS receiver is OFF until you wake up the phone.

Vyacheslav, Can you elaborate on exactly what you are talking about - Phone settings, Locus settings, external GPS device, etc?

photo

I don't use external GPS devices.

photo
photo

Steve, please try to turn the Google Assisted location ON - on some devices, this option makes troubles, and on others it helps. let's try yours :)

photo

Technically, Google Assist mode should be irrelevant since the phone was in airplane mode and outdoors in a rural area where there is no Wi-fi.

Unfortunately I am back in the U.S and in mostly good weather so my test location has gone away. GPS even works inside my house but I am near a SW facing window if that matters.

I am wondering if weather conditions and certain geographic locations can affect GPS so much as to be rendered inoperable. Anyone know how good the GPS receiver is on a Galaxy S10?

I am also wondering if this performance could be affected by just leaving the GPS receiver on as in navigate mode.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file