The navigation cursor gets stuck during track navigation

Graf Geo shared this problem 20 days ago
In Progress

For some time now, I’ve been experiencing a problem where, during track navigation (primarily walking/hiking), the navigation arrow (dark arrow) occasionally gets stuck at a point on the planned route and usually points in the wrong direction, whilst the unfilled cursor arrow (actual position) continues to move correctly with me. This naturally leads to an increasing discrepancy between the two cursor arrows, and once I’ve reached the distance I’ve set, I receive a deviation alert telling me that I’ve strayed from my planned route.

Which, of course, isn’t true, as I’m still on the route; it’s just that the navigation arrow has got stuck.

This usually happens once or several times per trip, mostly when I’ve stopped briefly, but sometimes for no apparent reason. These are ‘normal’ journeys from A to B without any return legs.

If I then switch the GPS off and on again briefly, it works fine again. As it happens quite frequently and beeps every time, it’s a bit annoying. What could be causing this and how can I fix it?

As I don’t have a screenshot and it’s difficult to simulate the situation at home, I’ve drawn up a schematic diagram:

Replies (6)

photo
1

Hi,

we have worked on a similar issue recently regarding a stuck guiding line during guidance. This bug has been fixed. Please test it on the latest beta version at https://bit.ly/lmVersionsTest. Thanks.

This comment is in trash! Restore
photo
1

Hello Michal,

thanks. I’m pretty sure it happened last Sunday as well; I’d already installed the latest beta, version 4.35.0.7. But I’ll test it again and keep an eye out to see if it keeps happening.

Edit: I can see that the fix was already included in version 4.35.0.4 – after that, the problem I described definitely continued to occur.

This comment is in trash! Restore
photo
photo
1

Thanks. We'll need an accurate description of all the steps leading to a successful simulation of the issue, then.

This comment is in trash! Restore
photo
1

I’ve just had a quick go on it on my way to the underground. I planned a route using the route planner (about 200 m). I then navigated the route. After 100 m, I deliberately veered off course by a few metres. The position cursor followed me, whilst the navigation arrow stayed on the route (correct). Then I went back onto the route where I left it; the navigation arrow no longer turned in my direction, but it did follow me. Back on the planned route, both arrows followed me, then suddenly the blue navigation arrow turned by about 180° and remained stationary. The position cursor continued to follow me, albeit still facing the wrong way. Until the distance became so large that it beeped.

This comment is in trash! Restore
photo
photo
1

Thanks. Now please create a manual backup of your settings and send it here for a test. Thank you.

This comment is in trash! Restore
photo
1

Ok, I sent you the backup zip (only settings) with a private ticket.


BTW: The bright position arrow almost never rotates with me when I change direction by about 180° (i.e. when I go back). I’ve tried various settings under GPS & sensors > Orientation, but nothing has changed.

He then walks alongside me, facing the opposite direction...

This comment is in trash! Restore
photo
photo

The navigation cursor gets stuck during track navigation

This comment is in trash! Restore
photo
1

Unfortunately, we still haven't managed to simulate the issue correctly, despite applying your setup. We'll go on investigating the problem further, but without proper reproduction of the issue, we can't do much.

This comment is in trash! Restore
photo
1

I looked into it again at the weekend and was able to reproduce the problem in several tests. I also made two screen recordings.

The main issue is that, when walking slowly and making sharp changes of direction (turning round), the bright navigation arrow does not reliably turn with you and then points in the wrong direction (sometimes for a long time or permanently) whilst still moving along with you. Sometimes increasing the walking speed helps, but not always.

This happens particularly when I change direction by nearly 180°, i.e. when I walk backwards. For example, when I briefly leave the route by a few metres against the planned direction to read a sign, step off the path, or similar.

(This has nothing to do with the map rotation, which happens immediately when the direction changes. The rotation of the navigation arrow, on the other hand, is delayed or does not happen at all.)

The dark arrow remains on the route; sometimes it also rotates (in the same wrong direction), and sometimes it remains correctly pointing in the intended direction.

When I return to the planned route, both arrows follow me again, with the light-coloured arrow possibly pointing the wrong way. At the next junction, the dark route arrow then remains stationary, whilst the light-coloured navigation arrow continues to follow me, triggering a distance warning.

Here are two screen recordings showing the problem. You can download them via the links. In both, I’m navigating a planned route.

screc01: I’m navigating and walking eastwards. Then I slowly cross to the other side of the road and walk diagonally back towards the track a few metres to the west. Then I turn round again and walk eastwards. The light-coloured navigation arrow doesn’t turn with me and continues to point westwards, but moves eastwards with me. At the next junction, the dark track arrow also turns the wrong way and remains stationary (!). When I continue walking eastwards, the distance alarm is triggered.

screc02: The same thing happens on another road, travelling from north to south.

Just for information, in case it’s relevant: route planning is carried out without navigation instructions.

I’ve been using track navigation regularly when walking or hiking ever since I got Locus, so for about 10 years. This problem never used to occur! It’s only been a few months that I’ve been struggling with it – I think since around April or May this year.

*** Translated with http://www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version) ***

This comment is in trash! Restore
photo
1

Just a friendly reminder – has the issue been clarified and is it still being looked into?


Thanks in advance.

This comment is in trash! Restore
photo
1

Hi, the issue is still in the devs' queue of tasks.

This comment is in trash! Restore
photo
Leave a Comment
 
Attach a file