When connecting Bluetooth device offer to turn on Location too

Andrew Heard shared this problem 17 hours ago
Solved

When I tap CONNECT in the Sensors Manager my for heart rate device, Locus will offer to turn on Bluetooth. My experience is that Location must be enabled too, otherwise program exceptions are raised but silently ignored and the the device is never connected with "Searching..." remaining on the screen. Example log when Connect is tapped:

10:45:11.444	E	SE2-a	unable to connect(), socket: XX:XX:XX:XX:DD:01
java.io.IOException: read failed, socket might closed or timeout, read ret: -1
	at android.bluetooth.BluetoothSocket.readAll(BluetoothSocket.java:1526)
	at android.bluetooth.BluetoothSocket.readInt(BluetoothSocket.java:1544)
	at android.bluetooth.BluetoothSocket.connect(BluetoothSocket.java:751)
	at jo.a.run(r8-map-id-5927c483cbd3a164606325e5197e76407ef68de519b6ca62df981a97f3855f15:155)
feedc9b6476428f2e86d6d35617ea1ba452956f2234b35421b2246b922c6f25c

Replies (1)

photo
2

Hi Andrew,

I've changes this to a problem, more than an idea.

Main question: how are you using Locus Map with HRM sensor connected and no location permission?

Amyway, I've found an option to connect to selected device directly without the scan used today. Scan, that also require location permission, is a safe way that always works. Now, it will be used as fallback if direct connection fail.

This comment is in trash! Restore
photo
1

Thanks Menion. Interesting/ non-intuitive that BT requires/ desires location too. I often use LM to quickly check my Polar HRM battery %. Also to minimize battery usage, when not recording, I generally disable location, bluetooth, mobile comms, & enable power saving. It is faster (less taps) to use LM than the official Polar Flow app to check the HRM ;-)

This comment is in trash! Restore
photo
Leave a Comment
 
Attach a file