SRTM ver. 4: Used in Locus? Difference from ver. 3? Where to get it?
It says at the CGIAR-CSI website ( http://srtm.csi.cgiar.org/ ) that a new SRTM ver. 4 is now available and that this update is an "sifnificant improvement" in the quality of the data. But:
- The files in the link are from 2009, so the "now available" seems slightly outdated
- The data are available in huge blocks (one for the whole NE hemisphere)
I was just wondering whether Locus uses this SRTM4 version when I ask for altitude and choose to get it online and Locus downloads a whole tile of SRTM data from somewhere.
- If yes, where does Locus download the current SRTM4 data from?
- If no, two other questions:
- Is the SRTM4 really that significantly better? Is it worth it trying to get it? What's new?
- If it's worth it and not currently the same stuff I get from Locus automatically, where to get it just for the Central Europe? (No need for a 1.1 GB file covering the whole NE hemisphere including half of Africa)