This object is in archive! 

Dedicated device for Locus Map

Maksym Mikulski shared this question 3 years ago
Answered

I have been using locus for many years. I am also a road cyclist. Looking at what the gps bike computer market offers, I think that navigation in Locus is much better than in dedicated bike computers.

I believe that a separate device - as a GPS bike computer with a Locus based system would be a great solution. Perhaps the Wahoo, Garmin, Sigma etc. GPS computers are great, but navigating with them is a chore compared to the Locus.

According to this idea.

Can you recommend a device that can run Locus, with Ant + and BLE support, GPS + GLONAS, and a battery that allows a drive of at least 10 hours? Of course, it does not have to be a phone, but it should be mountable on the handlebar of a bicycle.

Locus as a software for tourist and bicycle navigation is second to none. Now it would be useful to combine it with dedicated hardware. Guaranteed success.

Replies (4)

photo

Smartphone + Powerbar

photo

Yes, but the quality of gps in smartphones leaves much to be desired (especially in densely forested areas), and carrying a powerbank is less practical than having one powerful device.

photo

You could get a battery pack case, or a large battery device like a moto G8 Power.

the cost of making a dedicated android OS device that has improved battery and GPS seems prohibitive just for the use of locus.

Anotehr option is using an 8 inch tablet, bigegr screens, larger space for radios and less intereference, i used mi mipad 4 with locus for hours, battery packs are quite small nowadays and you wouldnt notice them

photo

Hello Maksym,

I'm glad you are satisfied with the Locus Map app.

We are not (yet?) producing any own hardware and at least no one in our team is unable to recommend any specific device.

Anyway, I'm leaving the topic open for community communication and suggestions :).

photo

Thank you for being able to use such a good product. ;)

photo

The best device is a Hammerhead Karoo. You can get Locus Map Pro on it by sideloading the Amazon appstore.

I've bought Locus on the Google Play store and Amazon appstore now. But as it's such a great app I don't care :D

If you have a bit of patience, wait for the Karoo 2. The first batch is almost out for shipping, next batch will be December.

Another option. Cubot KingKong mini. GREAT in the small size and price while still rugged. But not the 10 hours battery life you want. Also no ANT+. And you have to do a bit of DIY to mount is, but gluing a male garmin adapter is not that difficult.

Replies have been locked on this page!