This object is in archive! 

Auto or manual backup FAILED to upload to Google Drive.

Tristan Stanic shared this problem 2 years ago
Solved

Using Locus Map Pro 3.57.1, Android 11, Pixel 3

The ticket https://help.locusmap.eu/topic/backup-to-google-drive-not-working has been closed. Not sure if I can re-open an old ticket. Hope you don't mind I open a new one. In this ticket, I will try to provide more details.

The last successful auto-backup which was uploaded to my GDrive is dated 2022-01-08. I set the frequency of Auto upload to 7 days, with a rotation of max 8 most recent backups.

Since then the auto-back is correctly created locally in the Android/data/menion.android.locus.pro/files/Locus/backup/auto. But the file yyyy-mm-dd_hh-mm-ss_Locus_Map_Pro.zip is NOT uploaded to Google Drive. I believe I have correctly setup GDrive authentication (I am familiar with the procedure).

Q1. I no longer received a notification in the left panel saying auto backup has been uploaded to GDrive

Q2. Let's assume LocusMapPro had failed the upload because of an authentication issue. It would make sense that Locus MUST notify, GDrive upload had failed because of ...(the exception error). I tried to look in Android/data/menion.android.locus.pro/files/Locus/logs but the directory is empty. BTW how to enable logging on exception?

Q3. When I trigger a manual backup (data + settings), The zip backup is saved locally in the Android/data/menion.android.locus.pro/files/Locus/backup/ directory. But it is NOT uploaded in the cloud. Also the file pattern is different. yyyy-mm-dd_hh-mm-ss.zip instead of yyyy-mm-dd_hh-mm-ss_Locus_Map_Pro.zip as in the auto backup.

In my opinion, there should be an option in backup management to enable to upload to the cloud even for manual backup. Once the user has enabled "Upload backup to cloud" it is quite natural to assume that this option cover all backup, auto or manual. Because I failed to understand why a user would not want the to secure the manual backup on the cloud after enabling this option.

If security is the concern of this default behavior, I think it would be better to implement a symmetric encryption system on the data. For example by adding a new optional encryption password in the config.

Hope you can reproduce the issues above. And provide a fix in future updates.

Regards

Replies (4)

photo

Update 2022-02-15: Automatic backup to Google Drive now working. I think the failure was because I missed to authorize access to Locusmap on GDrive. Nevertheless, Q2 and Q3 in initial post are still relevant. Hope you can address this in next update. Thanks

photo

Hello,

sorry for late reply.

Q2: There should be displayed some error messages in case of error, but we know about a few things which need to be updated in notifications, so we'll take a closer look.

Q3: Yes, you are right. At this time, this feature isn't there, but we will work on it.

Thanks for the feedback.

So, (except Q2 and Q3) backup works correctly now?

Regards,

Zdenek, Locus team

photo

Not sure what had happened, the history of this topic is gone. I received by email an answer:

Zdeněk Kondler Hello, sorry for late reply. Q2: There should be displayed some error messages in case of error, but we know about a few things which need to be updated in notifications, so we'll take a closer look. Q3: Yes, you are right. At this time, this feature isn't there, but we will work on it.
Thanks for the feedback.
So, (except Q2 and Q3) backup works correctly now?
Regards,
Zdenek, Locus team
My answer to Zdenek:
Yes auto backup works now. What I did was to reconfigure the Backup manager settings, Edit the cloud provider properties. Which prompted to login into GDrive. Then outside og Locus, I confirm the authorization for Locus to access my GDrive (once after login into Google, once to confirm the Google email asking for confirmation)
Even though the backup is now working. The ticket is still relevant. Because it is hard to be aware that auto backup on cloud is working when Locus notification is not perfectly functional.
Worst yet. In case of doubt, it is quite natural to "help" Locus auto-backup by triggering a manual backup. To save immediately a backup on the cloud, just for safe. Unfortunately, this is not working. Because of reason mentioned in Q2 and Q3.
photo

Hello,

I agree that improvement will be good.

But at this time we have no current plan for this implementation.

If you want, you can submit this as an IDEA and collect votes for this.

Regards,

Zdenek, Locus team

Replies have been locked on this page!