Route transfer to the Garmin watch without wifi or mobile network.

Rostislav Psota shared this question 7 months ago
Answered

To transfer route from phone to Garmin watch works providing phone is on wifi or data network. If both are unavailable, transfer stops with error code "0". This is critical when being outdoor where no data available (typically thru-hike treks) . Is there a solution?

Replies (6)

photo

Hi, I am afraid this is another illogical limitation of Garmin Connect (which is providing connectivity background between our apps). This worked in the past but not anymore without any change on our side. I will try to look into it in more detail during this month to check whether there isn't any new ways, but I am bit skeptical to be honest. Jan

photo

thank you Jan. Being five or more days without possibility to charge devices pushes me to limit phone usage and focus on Garmin.

photo

The only way of transfering routes from a phone to a Garmin device without internet connection is currently the Garmin Explore app. You can plan your route in Locus, send the gpx to Explore and from there, sync it to the Garmin device. Explore is compatible with most Garmin outdoor devices.

photo

thanks Mathias. I think I tried and something was not ok, but I have to try again. In general, I try to limit usage of Garmin apps. Looks like their focus stops at short workouts. Their apps ecosystem is confusing.

photo

What does not work this way, if I remember correctly, are turn by turn navigation commands.

photo

I think this is it. Locus excels in turn by turn navigation. It recognize tinniest forest paths and takes them into account. It is very rare to get to path fork and not to get correct hint where to continue walking. I can probably live without route transfer on Pacific Crest Trail - there are not much alternative options during thru-hike from one civilization to other. So "set-up and follow" till next mobile signal.

photo

but, frankly, if Locus team finds solution till June2024, it will give me peace in my mind that I will be covered 🙂

photo
photo

___

Leave a Comment

Attach a file