Incorrect elevation for the route.

Ludovico Reale shared this problem 6 months ago
Not a Problem

Hello everyone, I've encountered this issue with a route I'm very familiar with in my region. It's a tourist trail suitable for anyone and can be traversed in any season. The one-way elevation gain is approximately 220 meters over a route that's almost 8km long. Essentially, it's a walk in the park.

When creating and planning the route on LocusMap, the elevation gain is completely incorrect, showing around 476 meters of elevation gain. Thinking it might be due to the old version, I updated to version 4.19, but nothing changed. I'm not sure if the issue is with the map on which the route is planned or with the routing engine, but it's a problem that needs to be resolved. This is because it creates false data, distorting the actual elevation gain. I also tried using the altitude corrections available in the application, but it didn't make a difference.

Attached are the route track and the screenshot of the displayed elevation gain.

Replies (2)

photo

The elevation gain that Locus is showing is the cumulative elevation gain. Your track has a lot of ups and downs, and the elevation gain is the sum of all the "ups", that's why it is more than double of what you are expecting. If in reality the trail is constantly ascending, the problem is either inaccuracies in the elevation model or in the path on the map, or both.

photo

In the real route there are no ups and downs, as it remains flat for 6.6km. It begins to climb progressively in the final part, for a total of 220 meters of altitude difference, more or less metre.

So I think the error is, as you also said, in the elevation model or in the map. I can assure you that the route is traced correctly.

photo

They may get the altitude from the GPS and that often jumps.
Use LIDAR altitude data from Sonny. And set the altitude manager accordingly.

photo

Where can I download them from and above all how to insert them into the LocusMap app?

Thank you

photo

https://sonny.4lima.de/

Zdenek, Locus team

photo
photo

Satelitarna mapa nie działa

Leave a Comment

Attach a file