[DE] Voice announcements from Locus via Bluetooth with my car radio

Uwe Deutscher shared this problem 2 months ago
Closed

Hallo liebes Locus Team, ich habe kürzlich die gesprochenen Abbiegehinweise beim Navigieren einer gespeicherten Route ausprobiert. Wenn ich mein Smartphone ohne Verbindung zum Autoradio genutzt habe, hat es gut funktioniert. Sobald ich aber mein Smartphone über Bluetooth mit meinem Autoradio gekoppelt habe, kommen keine Sprachansagen von Locus mehr. Die Audiokopplung von Smartphone und Autoradio funktioniert ansonsten einwandfrei. Ich bekomme Audio von meinem Musikplayer im Smartphone und von meinem Radarfallenwarner, nur Locus wird sofort stumm, sobald mein Smartphone mit meinem Autoradio gekoppelt ist. Warum? Was kann ich tun, um die Sprachansagen von Locus auf meinem Autoradio zu hören?

Replies (15)

photo

Hello,

please, check what channel you have selected in the sound output and if your volume on the phone isn't too low or muted.

The output you can change in the "Settings > Misc. > Audio channel"

abc1318eddacec68fb38d6231303171d

Let me know if it helps.

Zdenek, Locus team

photo

Hallo liebes Locus Team,

ich habe gerade den Audio Kanal gerade überprüft. Er ist auf "Musik Multimedia" eingestellt.

Die Lautstärke meines Smartphones ist auf Maximum eingestellt.

Ich erhalte ja auch alle anderen Audiosignale von meinem Smartphone in meinem Autoradio.

Viele Grüße aus Herne, Uwe Deutscher

photo

Hello,

and is there any change if you switch to the "Ringing and other notifications"?

What channel using apps that working?

Just to be sure, do you have the sound amplified on the media channel?

Zdenek, Locus team

photo

Hallo liebes Locus Team,

welche Wirkung hat diese Funktion Audio Kanal eigentlich?

Wozu ist sie gedacht?

Leider verstehe ich Ihre Fragen

"What channel using apps that working?

Just to be sure, do you have the sound amplified on the media channel"

nicht.

Vermutlich gibt es hier Probleme mit der automatischen Übersetzung.

Bitte erläutern Sie das genauer!

Viele Grüße aus Herne,

Uwe Deutscher

photo

Hello,

the channel affects behavior of the sound. Usually media sound is muted when a notification is received. On the other hand, if you have "Do Not Disturb" mode on, for example, notifications are muted, but media is not affected. So based on your use-case you have to decide how to use these channels so it fits your needs.

Also each of this channel has a separate volume settings on the phone (and on your car maybe too), so you have to be sure if you turning volume up for the right channel. If you only press volume button, it usually affect the default output (media), but notifications, ringing and alarms stays untouched. So if you have output set to notification with a simple button volume it is not amplified - you have to open the detailed menu:

dfe99d1ccfedb6dbdd1670914af4c656

So if some apps works you should check what settings are applied there and set Locus the same way and test it.

Zdenek, Locus team

photo

Hello Zdenek,

thank you for your answer and your explanation of the two different audio channels.

There should be a third audio channel, which is telephone.

I checked them all very carefully now.

All three are and were set to maximum volume.

I checked the settings in Locusmap, too.

Audio channel multimedia is and was selected.

So I gave it two new tries today.

I started with Locusmap and my smartphone not being connected to my car's radio.

I got audio instructions via the speakers of my phone then.

But I really have to note that some of those were quite weird and definitely wrong!

I several times got the instruction to turn left to get from the road to the Autobahn.

This is nonsense. I had to turn right!

See my screenshot!

A left turn would have taken me to the parking site of a public swimmingpool.

There were some more instructions that were definitely wrong or at least confusing.

Later I switched on my car's radio.

From that time on Locus stopped all audio instructions immediately.

Other warnings and audio from the phone were played through the radio.

Then I switched off the radio.

Locus immediately started its audio instructions through the smartphones speakers again.

I did a second tour later today.

Locus' behaviour was identical.

The quality of audio instructions was bad again.

Sometimes I got instructions, sometimes I didn't get instructions where I had to turn.

Sometimes the voice said "Keep left for 400 meters!"

But actually it should have been "Turn left in 400 meters!"

I did the routing in advance using Locus' GraphHopper in mode car and saving the route.

I then started the saved route being offline.

Please comment on the very bad audio instructions and please help me get Locus giving audio through my radio!

The route shown on the map was correct and the turn directions given on the display were correct, too.

Only the audio instructions didn't match the ones on the display.

Why does that happen?

I have been using Locus for more than 15 years now for hiking, cycling and geocaching.

I started using it in my car only recently.

But I really doubt that it is usable for car driving.

Please disprove my assumption!

Yours,

Uwe

photo

If Locus gets the right instructions delivered from the router, the navigation result is definitely correct.

photo
photo

Locus is an outdoor app and only partially suitable for driving. It is best to use Google Maps for driving.

photo

Google Maps only works online.

I have only a very limited volume of mobile data in my subscription.

In addition there is no mobile network available in some areas I travel.

So, I need a navigation software that allows me to plan a route at home or in the hostel, save it and then open it and navigate offline. This is definitely not Google Maps, but Locus.

I just have to solve the problems I am currently experiencing with Locus! Maybe I can get some help here?

photo
photo

I used the original online router that is embedded with Locus, GraphHopper!

And what is even more weird is, that the instructions on the screen and the audio instructions contradict each other!

photo

The Locus_GH online combination works idem and correctly.

Are you sure you navigate using the GH router instructions?

How do you save the routing result ? In the database or as gpx export?

How do you import afterwards? Direct from the database or as gpx?

With a Locus gpx export you must sure indicate to attach the instructions!

With Locus gpx import you must merge the instruction waypoints and track !

This is absolutely necessary for all Locus generated gpx files for navigation.

(The previous demo tracks by Cruiser app export do not need set merge)

Therefore I also attach you a similar file produced by Locus_GH online.

photo

I didn't export or import anything.

I did the whole process within Locus.

I used the menu "Route planen" to create the route, saved it and the opened it from the menu "Meine Tracks".

I recorded my cruise with a dashcam.

I am going to upload this to YouTube and put a link here.

Then you will see, that Locus indeed gave me wrong audio instructions despite correct instructions on the display.

The display instructions correctly told me to turn right to get to the Autobahn, but the audio instructions told me to turn left, which was definitely wrong!

How is that possible?

photo
photo

I would use the BRouter. Locus also uses it in the LoRouter.

photo

Den BRouter habe ich installiert. Er funktioniert ausschließlich offline und berücksichtigt daher keine aktuellen Verkehrssituationen!

photo

Car navigation: You select between:
- Google Maps. Offers navigation updates based on traffic conditions. Your data package must be adequate.
- Locus_Graphhopper online. Alternative to Locus_Brouter without updates by the current traffic situation.
- Locus_BRouter offline. An overall in app offline solution without updates due to the current traffic situation.

photo
photo

I would like to get audio instructions, because I suffer from prespyopia and hardly can read the tiny display!

photo

I mean reading the tiny display while driving and wearing a pair of distance vision glasses!

photo
photo

If you want traffic then you have to navigate with Google Maps. The best solution for the car.

photo

I have only a very limited volume of mobile data and often travel in areas with very bad or no mobile coverage, so I want to navigate offline. This is not possible using Google Maps.

I opened another thread here to find out how to transfer Google Maps routes into Locus.

photo

> a very limited volume of mobile data

Very limited is ? .................

photo

4GBpm.

photo

That is not little.
Extra prevention to not exceed you monthly plan.

1_Limit and stop data use by Android phone setting will prevent to surpass your plan. Be conservative. Set 3.8 GB
2. Monitor your usage by the My Data Manager app. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobidia.android.mdm
- It shows you those apps that consume the most of your mobile data.

photo

I know all those tricks to save data volume.

I started with 50 MB in earely 2000nds.

I alway stop mobile data and only switch it on, when I synch emails or look up something.

Exactly this is the reasdon why I want to avoid online navigation!

Does anyone know whether GraphHopper takes in account the current traffic situation like Google does?

If not, I could use BRouter as well.

photo
photo

If you are already planning the route in Google Maps. Then I would also do the navigation with Google Maps. Simply use the offline function of Google Maps.
As I understand it, are you navigating by car or motorcycle?

photo

How can I use Google Maps offline?

As far as I could find out it only works online.

I have been using Locus for hiking, cycling and geocaching for more thank 15 years now.

I just want to find out whether it is usable for navigation with my car so that I can avoid buying a Garmin.

photo

But this doesn't help!

Yes, I can download an excerpt of a map.

But, I have all those maps in Locus!

I have vector maps of northern and southern Germany and the Netherlands!

What I need is a route on those maps and because of my presbyopia audio instructions!

I don't always want to stop at the right side and change glasses to check my route!

photo

Another test today.

Locus again issued audio instructions through my smartphones speaker.

Locus again several times told me to turn left, when I had to turn right to get to the Autobahn!

Why???

Locus again stopped audio as soon as I switched on my car's radio and Bluetooth connection had been established!

Why???

photo

Hello,

I am sorry, but as was told, Locus is not a car navigation. It can do this, but only to a limited extent.

Anyway, please send me the GPX of that route where the instructions are incorrect and describe those critical parts so I can test it.

What map and router are you using?

Except for your car, is there any other device (headphones, speakers) where voice navigation is a problem, or is it ok elsewhere?

Zdenek, Locus team

photo
photo

Dear Zdenek,

Enclosed you will find the route, which I exported from Locus.

I use the vector map for northern Germany from Locus.

The routing was done by GraphHopper from Locus' user interface.

The problem is, that the audio instructions keep telling me several times to turn left from Dorstener Straße to enter the Autobahn at Herne Crange entry.

In fact I have to turn right!

I still have the problem that all audio instructions stop immediately as soon as my smartphone established Bluetooth connection to my car's radio.

Audio instructions resume as soon as I turn off my car's radio.

Other apps from my smartphone work fine with my car's radio.

That is the telephoning function, the app "Blitzer" and all other apps on my smartphone.

Only Locus stopps audio when connected to my car's radio.

When not connected to my car's radio Locus sends audio via the smartphone' s speaker.

"Blitzer" is an app that gives audio warnings whenever a radar speed control is ahead.

I suspected the app "Blitzer" to maybe block Locus' audio, so I stopped it before I started Locus.

But it didn't make any difference.

Nothing changed.

My setting in Locus audio settings is "multimedia" channel.

What can I do else?

KR,

Uwe

photo

False turn instructions are mostly caused by incorrect scheduling. In the route planner, you should NEVER place shaping or via points near or right on road crossings. Position them several meter away from road junctions ! From your file you cant find out anymore where you placed shaping points because Locus doesn't export them in the gpx file nor so use them usefully in the navigation. The better route planner offers this as well. Locus imports them as silent viapoints.

photo

Hello,

exactly as 0709 wrote. Do not place via points to the crossroads, place them on the road you want to use.

More here in the manual: https://docs.locusmap.app/doku.php?id=manual:user_guide:tracks:planning#drawing_instructions

This is proper usage:

7204154e56f747242ec408aeeb991c21

And this not:

ab247baa2cec094903fe8eeb7aa6f132 b8fe6c5165ac1e1369549e2eaa39c83a dccd9fdb003873e9ea91e016c27c89f4

Zdenek, Locus team

photo

Still this. A note for the Locus team.

If you do not want to lose your carefully placed route planner points in the GPX file in Locus, select "Via points as default" in the route planner settings. The Via point remains silent in navigation if you than disable the "Notify during navigation" option in the Via point's edit screen. I suspect that many users are not aware of this somewhat hidden option, let us be honest, it is quite cumbersome and ultimately not very user-friendly implemented this way.

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file