Import von Google Maps Routen

Uwe Deutscher shared this question 2 months ago
Answered

Wie kann ich eine auf meinem Desktop PC mit Google Maps erstellte Route in Locus Maps importieren?

Replies (3)

photo

Not easy. Anyway by the following extension you can export a result as a simple gpx track.

CAUTION! Not useful for true faithful TBT turn navigation gpx imports in non-Google map apps.

This is just a simple gpx track file and so it does NOT contain the necessary TBT turn instructions!

You just visually follow the gpx trackline as shown on the map with this.

https://gmaps2gpx.com/#faqs?ref=extension-faq

photo

Locus nowadays supports import and export of KMK and KMZ files from Google. This should solve this problem!

I just couldn't find out how to save a route from Google Maps and then open it in Locus.

Any advice?

photo

KMK=KML

photo

I would like to get audio instructions, because I suffer from prespyopia and hardly can read the tiny display while driving!

photo

Google Maps exports neither kml nor kmz nor gpx provided with navigation instructions.

photo

Aber mann kann doch ein importierter gpx file auf dem screen anklicken und dan navigieren auswahlen. Dann gibts (bei mir) auch Sprachanweisungen entlang der Track.

photo

Ja, Henk. Aber dann navigiert man nur nach der (trackshape) oder trackform. Das ist nicht so ideal.

photo

Yes, but these are only generated based on the change in angle of the line. So even with a sharp bend where there is nothing to turn. Or at some turns that are very flat in angle, none is announced there.
This is a makeshift solution, gpx with integrated turn-by-turn directions are always better.

photo

Naja, ist zum unterstutzen und wenn es Uwe hilft.

photo
photo

There are various topics from Uwe. The question is which vehicle are you traveling with? Why do you make your route in Maps and not in the Locus planner?

photo

The answer is quite easy. Planning a route with Google Maps is much more comfortable and has much more options than doing this with GraphHopper. Google Maps takes in account all those current traffic restrictions. I still don't know whether GraphHopper can do this, although it is an online router. Google Maps offers several routes to choose from. GraphHopper doesn't. The only drawback of Google Maps is it works only online. As I told before I have a very limited volume of mobile data transfer and some of the areas I travel have very bad or no mobile coverage. So, I want to plan my routes at home on my PC with Google Maps, save them transfer them into Locus and drive offline using Locus.

I read articles in the web that saving routes from Google Maps is possible and even an export as KML or KMZ file is possible. I saw that Locus nowadays can export and import KML and KMZ files. So, it should be possible to do what I desire to do. The problem is, those articles I read in the web are several years old and the instructions given there don't work anymore. The user interface of Google Maps has changed. I just couldn't figure out how this is done today. Any solutions?

photo

Wouldn't it be easier to use the Google Maps app directly instead of transferring the route to locus? You can download sections of the maps so that you can use it offline: https://www.netzwelt.de/anleitung/96166-google-maps-so-nutzt-karten-offline.html

photo

I had to search but mymaps is now here: https://www.google.com/maps/d/

photo

@ Mathias.
Indeed the optimal Google maps navigation recommendation is use the original.
Anything else you should consider as currently quite impractical test bricolages.
If one wants a gpx track export (without TBT instructions) it is possible by:
A. Use mymaps with kml_kmz export and convert to gpx. Pretty (too) complex.
B. Use the extension as indicated in the first contribution is more smoothly.
You need to know this by using the FREE extension version.
The number of via points is limited, but trackpath changes in maps are simply possible.
The gpx contains no tbt instructions. At the via points you notice the double trackpoints.

Apart from FOLLOWING the track in the classic way, no serious navigation is possible with this.
Adding turn by turn instructions as indicated by the arrows shown in the instruction list is easy.
But this can now only be done manually so no one wants it that way. (Anyway I add a short demo).
Automatically adding TBT by an updated extension may possibly not be allowed by Google.

In attachment.
1. The default gpx track. (contains the google link)
2. As gpx navigation track. Locus_Cruiser compatible.
Despite (or because of) its simplicity very usable.

photo

The objective shall be planning a route with Google Maps on my PC.

Save it.

Export and import to Locus.

Save it in Locus.

Open and start it offline in Locus.

Navigate offline receiving audio instructions.

Got an idea regarding generating of audio instructions.

I have a Garmin Connect account.

This can generate audio instructions into imported tracks.

Got the Locus for Garmin App, too.

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=Locus Garmin&c=apps&gl=DE

https://apps.garmin.com/de-DE/apps/f15dd655-e734-456e-b8f5-314d287df4a4

Have to solve some obstacles, but it should not be impossible!

photo

Garmin Connect is a waste of time. It doesn't create proper turn instructions. And it is also difficult to export them. Garmin Connect uses a similar method as Locus to add instructions to an existing gpx, so what @freischneider said above also applies here:

"Yes, but these are only generated based on the change in angle of the line. So even with a sharp bend where there is nothing to turn. Or at some turns that are very flat in angle, none is announced there."

photo
photo

I'll say it again .... use Google Maps Offline. info and instructions can be found at Google

You can send your route from Google on your PC directly to your phone and it is immediately available in Google Maps on your phone.

photo

honestly even tho ive been using locus for 13 years, thats what i do, ive used locus road navigation as a backup or when i dont have offline map or when google maps directions get wacky, but i go to locus POI and open google maps from there to road navigate.....i appreciate it has road navigation but the live traffic is a must for me....

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file