Route recalculation does not work after manual profile has been used

druki shared this problem 12 days ago
Not a Problem

There is a bug if you previously have used manual routing profile in route manager.

Steps to reproduce:

Create a route with manual profile. Abort.

Create a new route where you want to use e.g. car fast profile.

By default the last profile is being used (which bothers me).

Choose the routing profile of car fast and click recalculate to calculate the route with that profile.

Expected:

Route is recalculated with the currently selected profile regardless wheter profile manual has been used before.

Found:

New recalculation is not done. Even no error or success message. The routing keeps the manual created route.

It is also reproduceable if you start with profile car fast, then recalculate with manual (straight lines) and then switch back to car fast. With other profiles selected in between (othen than manual), the recalculation works.

Locus 4.23.1 on Xiaomi X3Pro, Android 13.

Replies (5)

photo

Hi,

thanks for the report. The issue has been simulated and forwarded to the devs.

photo

Hello Druki,

this change was made recently based on this discussion. From my perspective, it makes sense and I would like to keep it as is. Manually drawn segments are usually precisely planned because automatic routing does not fit user needs, so keeping it during recalculation makes sense.

photo

> Keeping it during recalculation makes sense.

= Correct.

@ Menion.
So in that other app (you know which one), manual sections are specifically marked also in the gpx navigation track as a beeline track section to protect and preserve if the general default routing profile is changed.

photo
photo

I am very sad about this developments. I often switch between manual and calculated routing, because I need the two usecases. The mixup of the usecases in the new route planer forces me to do workarounds. So after using manual profile, at the next routing usecasase with routing calculation, I need to start route planing, then switch to other routing profile, abort and then start routing with desired routing profile. This is an awful workflow. Is there a workaround or a better solution in sight where the user can first select his usecase and then just can simply do it's job with that routing usecase? Like in former times of Locus?

Sorry for sounding harsh, I don't want to just complain, but as I have no idea how this could work for me with the new route planer, I would love to see my needs regarded without such "surprises".

Peace

Druki.

photo

...Maybe a setting at recalculation "keep manual routing sections at recalculation"? And then I can deacticate it by default 😉.

photo

With the manual trackmode, you bridge track sections where no routing is possible.

@Druki.

I think you rather expect a gpx (rte) route with straight lines between the (rtept) route points.

And only then using different routing profiles to get your track results.

Example gpx (rte) route in attachment. Something like this ?

photo

To explain my usecases:

manual profile

- I plan rough directions of holiday routes over hundrets of kilometers to have a simple and fast overview by straight lines between points I want to visit

- I preview day routes with complex dependencies (what to visit in which order) by first creating a manual route and afterwards switching to car routing with calculation (known as salesman problem in routing calculations with several points and certain aspects of sorting without disturbance of unnecessary exact calculated ways)

- I measure land properties (areas in m²) with straight lines

- I use rarely the feature of having parts of a route as manual section (only for the described other profile routing usecases as a workaround for poor OSM data and then I more seldomly have to recalculate the whole route).

other profiles

- I plan hikes and sightseeing routes by foot, spontaneous (navigation) and long term usage (possible paths to walk) with calculations of altitude gain/loss

- I plan car routing for long distance and short distances, temporary (spontaneous routing to a destination) and longterm (holiday sections, distance and time calculations, reusable routes for navigation).

If I need to do several of that different usecases, I currently allways have to do the described workaround when switching from manual usecases to calculated usecases, because Locus assumes that I want to use the same routing profile usecase as last time. And Locus asssumes my usecase is allways calculated navigation with non calculated segments in it.

An other point:

Imagine you have a route for foot navigation with a partial manual segment. And the last thing you did was adapt the manual segment. You then save the route. The next time you want to edit the foot navigation part of the route, you will run in the problem of not beeing able to recalculate, because Locus suggests the manal profile from last time (manual segment) although you want to recalculate with foot navigation (exept the manual segment). Then you are forced to use the workaround of changing routing profile, abort, start route planing again with correct profile to do your recalculation.

One more: It is not possible to change from calculated routes back to straight lines (easy overviw with intersecting ways).

photo

Hello Druki,

thanks for the explanation. It is starting to be quite complex to understand to me ... too many use-cases, sorry.

So firstly, the optional "Recalculate also manual segments" setting is doable, but I would like to create it as a last option.

---

Back to your initial post please, where I see a major problem:

"By default the last profile is being used (which bothers me)." ... what is wrong with it and why it makes a problem? Simply change the routing profile when the route planner opens. Maybe you start the route planner with the "Navigate to" method that immediately starts computing? Try the "Route planner" option instead.

---

As I think about it, the solution should be some kind of "Manual route" (old behavior) and "Manual route - sticky" (new behavior). Two manual route options ... hmm extra complications for basic users. Extra settings is less flexible but easier as most of users do not need to change it from my point of view.

photo

> It is not possible to change from calculated routes back to straight lines (easy overviw with intersecting ways

Undo - Redo.

5099c2e6d10c77618fc40587e25e901e

photo

Undo-redo is not possible if you open a saved calculated route and try to have straight lines.

photo

Indeed, you only dispose of undo redo while you are building a trajectory.

photo
photo

@menion yes, I could start a route planer if I want to navigate, but normally I choose navigate when I want to navigate. And when I choose this, I normally don't want to bother with route planing details. There is an idea of "quick navigate", see comments of Montain B and newer in https://help.locusmap.eu/topic/33572-bring-back-effective-routing-profile-selection

Maybe this could solve the fast and easy way to navigate without caring about details.

And yes, I use Locus for many usecases, because it's a great and flexible tool 💜.

photo

What is desired is similar to what can be done using Garmin Basecamp or Mapsource
Set a (rte)route using route(way)points and then run the routing profile on it.

Locus will immediately show a track result using the default profile.
Using the manual profile "none" you can still simulate the route behaviour.
@ druki has made good use of this. ;-) Good point.

Normal routing via the default profile with different profile for individual sections.
If necessary these track sections that do deviate from the default are best protected.
@ Graf Geo has rightly put this in place. ;-) Good point.

So both options are useful.

Very different profiles are the following.
- If not routable with normal profiles use (Zossebart) reroute profile or "osm shortest".
- If no osm path present you still place a connection using the manual profile or "none"

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

Leave a Comment

Attach a file