Android Data Folder Access On Newer Android Versions?

Steve L shared this question 3 months ago
Answered

Hello,

I updated to a NOS Galaxy S10 about 6 months ago. It came with Android 11 and I could still access the Android/Data folder. Since then the phone updated itself to Android 12 and I have lost all access to any app data that is contained in the android/data folder.

Apparently this was a Google "improvement" for privacy & security. Have any of you found an app that can get around this restriction?

Thanks,

Steve

Replies (6)

photo

Hi Steve,

I'm also running a Galaxy S10 (since 2019), also upgraded to Android 12 quite some time ago. I had been using x-plore before and this app continues to do the job, also in .../data. Just copied a file into this private Locus folder on INT SD, then copied that file from INT SD to another private folder on EXT SD. Worked like a charm.

However, disaster strikes when it comes to Android 13 (I have such on my Tab S6 lite) - beware.

Cheers

Michael

photo

I *think* it got better again with V14. I haven't had any problems with V14 & using the Media folder.

photo

The GS10s are locked at Android 12 so 13+ isn't an issue. Hopefully, by the time I retire this phone Android should be in the upper teens!

I am currently using FX explorer Pro which has cloud account access.

When I started looking into this months ago I came up with this short list of potential apps (or apps that were in development)

X-plore

FV file manager

Solid Explorer

MI Explorer

I got distracted and never completed my research.

Andrew,

Is the Media folder just an exception (Like Download) or did Google loosen up other restrictions on Android 14?

Thanks,

Steve

photo

I don't really know Steve, but I know others were happy when LM devs allowed internal/Android/media instead of (default) internal/Android/data as an option for saving map files. I did a quick test on a brand new V14 phone using Solid Explorer - I can create a folder in internal/Android/media but not in internal/Android/data.

photo

I just tried this with FX Explorer and I can see into the media folder which shows 4 other folders. I also see the Locus map folders but FX says that the folders are empty so the maps are still somewhere else hidden or FX can't see the map files.

photo
photo

Locus V4 will move the data away from /data when you change the location in the settings (... filesystem ...)

Get everything to /media and you are fine until Google's next insanity.

photo

The main directory should be on INT SD, as it contains databases and scratch folders that need speed.

photo

Hi,

if you have Locus Map 4, you can change its default storage to fully accessible /Android/media/ in settings > Backup&filesystem > Fily system manager > Set the main directory. If Locus Map 3 Classic, you can only move the map directories (Locus/maps, Locus/mapsVector) to the Android/media sector.

photo

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. This is Locus 3 Classic.

You may be able to regain access by using the built-in Android "files" app. It is hidden but might be still available to use via the shortcut app "Files by Marc". This is not an app but a link to the internal Android Files app. If that works you should regain access. If it doesn't, you can find the "Files" app under settings>apps and try to uninstall any updates which may restore an earlier version that works.

I just tried this and at least I can see the file structure once again. I haven't actually tried writing/copying anything into the now forbidden area. This would be a final test.

photo

It works! When you go to the folder, hit dot-dot menu, new windows. This opens a second FILES app. Activate splitscreen so that these two apps are on the screen and you can drag&drop files into any folder under Android\data!

photo

Drag and drop on a phone? And between two Splitscreen apps? How to do that?

photo

Ah, got it. Select the files in one window, then tab and hold the checkmark icon and drag to the other screen.

photo
photo

Android/data access still works from a computer, when connecting the phone via USB.

photo

That's interesting I remember trying this when I first commissioned the phone and remember getting some form of error message. However, now on the latest Android 12 it seems to work using the MTP protocol. I had visibility into the Data and OBB directories but didn't try to actually write anything into them.

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file