Not a good first try at using Locus mapping
I'm afraid it wasn't a good first experience using Locus maps and considering the feedback score on this app in the Playstore I must be doing something terribly wrong.
I've created a route on http://cycle.travel/ and exported it to Locus. As a test I tried out Locus earlier this evening and had the following problems. I've also linked Locus on the Android phone to my Pebble watch using the Locus - addon Pebble app.
- My first problem was that left/right hand turnings at roundabouts were coming up as half lefts/rights as were simple bends in the road.
- Distance to the next turning was grossly over estimated on the watch and didn't match what was on the phone and out of whack with reality on both devices more often than not.
- On one occasion coming up to a roundabout where I was going right it was appearing on both devices as a half left and then when I got on the roundabout it switched to a full right.
- Intermittently I was getting this message OVER_QUERY_LIMIT please see the screenshot
- Also on the screenshot you will see a red line with arrows which was moving about, what is this and how do I get rid of it?
- When I reached my final point I wanted to retrace my steps but couldn't figure out how to reverse the directions for navigation purposes?
I have read the help documents though not all of them but those that seemed relevant and while I wasn't expecting a Google maps experience I wasn't prepared for the disaster I got. So I must be doing something terribly wrong. It would really help if there was a tutorial about how to set up a imported route for navigation which would give clear on screen directions as Locus looks like it's got a bit of a learning curve!!
BTW I've read the definition of route and track on this website and I'm still confused?? This is not helped by the fact that the site I used to create a route called cycle.travel exported the route to a gpx file which was then imported and stored as a track in Locus, very confusing
What am I trying to do?
I want to create a route for cycling that I can follow on my phone or Pebble smartwatch with clear instructions i.e. if there is a roundabout coming up it appears as a roundabout with the correct exit on my phone at least or if there is a turning it displays a clear left or right turn and I'm forewarned of it in advance. I don't think I'm asking too much here, why is this so difficult? I don't want Locus to auto generate a route for me between A and B, I can get Google maps to do this perfectly well.