Track export menu - "track to route", "GPX version"

Rostislav Psota shared this question 13 months ago
Answered

Hello (ahoj), I created track in mobile app, which I intend to use in my Garmin Fenix watch for navigation. In the export track menu there are two options, which are not clear to me - track to route (on/off) and GPX version (1.0, 1.1). Could you please advice me, what to choose to get most of the created track in my Garmin Fenix during navigation? thank you

Replies (4)

photo

Hello, I don´t have a Fenix, but:

The option "Track to route" writes the track out as Route.
Normaly a Route on Garmin is limmited to a number of Points. (depending on which Fenix you have)

A Track can store more Points, than a Route, but a route can include turn directions additionally.

I would try to use GPX version 1.1. (some additional expressions possible)

photo

The export as route option exports a RTE indeed, but it contains all the track points are RTE points and it contains the navigation points are waypoints.

However, a RTE is intended to have a few waypoints only. I would find it more natural if the route export contains the shaping points and the via-points (the green triangles and blue squares in the route planner). Unfortunately there does not seem to be a way to export those.

photo

The reason why I think this could be a very valuable feature is the introduction of the new BMW ConnectedRide app and Motorcycle Navigator. For group-rides, I used to prepare routes in Garmin Basecamp. Carefully planned routes, with shaping points and waypoints for stops (fuel, coffee, lunch, etc.) This cannot be done in any online planning tool.

When sharing such routes with friends, you generally share the tracks, because that way, you ensure navigation is as close as possible to the intended route. Garmin systems will simply route over the track and if you deviate, you loose navigation (recalculation can be switched off) However, all TomTom devices, as well as the new BMW device, share the feature that they always re-route themselves (and Garmin systems do too, whenever a road is supposedly closed).

Given a track as input, these systems recalculate a new route trough all the track points and if you deviate from the route, they get you back to the nearest track point. This can be annoying.

Instead, having a proper RTE, encoding the exact shaping points and via points you define yourself in the app would allow the navigation system to follow the correct route, while still making local changes, for example to bypass traffic.

photo

Hi,

the "RTE" option is available for those whose older navigation devices require this mode. Otherwise, always use the "track" mode. The shaping points (green triangles) are not exported as they are not bearers of any significant information - they are just auxiliary controls for shaping the route. On the contrary, the "via-points" (blue squares) are exported as waypoints and are taken into account during voice navigation (they are notified by voice) and recalculation of the route - with the point priority the route recalculates to the nearest waypoint.

"Carefully planned routes, with shaping points and waypoints for stops (fuel, coffee, lunch, etc.) This cannot be done in any online planning tool."

- you can easily do the same with the Locus Map Web planner, not to mention the Android app that has even more options.

photo

Don't get me wrong, I really like the Android planner as well as the online version. However, the fact that the shaping points bear no information is a strange notion.

I understand this when planning hiking routes, etc., but especially for the ability to share routes across platforms, such as Tomtom, Garmin, BMW, etc. being able to export the route as an RTE with the shaping points in there would be valuable as all these platforms do their own internal re-calculation when routing and this way, you ensure that all recipients of the route go through the same shaping points and waypoints.

Sharing a track does indeed also work as all these platforms will calculate a new route as close as possible to the given track, but you loose the waypoints and you loose the ability to have the receiver recalculate when road conditions require this.

Anyway, I understand it's not a priority of any kind, but I do believe that with this feature, your platform would be an excellent alternative to Garmin Basecamp.

photo

> the "RTE" option is available for those whose older navigation devices require this mode.

For which older devices this was ever intended is still completely unknown to me.
Old devices in particular only support a limited number of gpx (rtept) route points.
In a gpx (rte) route, only need the points between which the (mobile) device then calculates a track.
These are both the shaping points (unannounced) AND the via points (announced in navigation).
A normally constructed gpx (rte) route therefore contains nothing else than both of these.

Garmin (Basecamp) exports.
- As gpx (rte) route > Export shaping and the via (rtept) route points.
(By a very specific Garmin extension the track is attached in the gpx (rte)route (rtept)routepoints).

Cruiser app exports
- As gpx (rte)route > Shaping and via points as gpx (rtept)routepoints
- As gpx (wpt)waypoints > Shaping and via points as gpx (wpt)waypoints.
- As gpx navigation (trk)track > Shaping and via and turn points are attached in the gpx (trkpt)trackpoints.

Locus reads this gpx navigation (trk) track as follows.
The turn (trkpt)trackpoints are promoted to be TBT instructions
The Shaping (trkpt)points are promoted to be Silent Via points
The Via (trkpt) trackpoints are promoted to be announced Via points.

photo

@Boudewijn - Locus Map in the 'rte' mode exports a standard GPX with the RTEPT tags for the route points as well as with WPT tags for the waypoints (referred to as "viapoints" in the Locus Map route planner). Anyway, if you need the app to do this differently, post an idea on the helpdesk so other users can vote for it. If the idea gathers positive feedback and votes, the devs will implement it.

@0709 - originally, the 'rte' mode was developed for Garmins and some app that weren't able to import a track with 'trkpt' tags

photo

Old stuff.

https://help.locusmap.eu/topic/29840-exportimport-gpx-route#comment-120091

Read:

You expect a route with limited number of routepoints.

With the routepoints start, the via's (shaping) and finish.

What you expect however Locus does not export.

- A very simple gpx (rte) route example is attached.

The gps or app router ( by profile) calculates so a track with this.
A Cruiser_GraphHopper navigation track export result is attached.

photo
photo

@Rostislav: I can recommend the Locus Garmin addon and the Locus CIQ app. With this combination, you can send your tracks from Locus to your Fenix directly via Bluetooth.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file