Locus Map Lite iOS BETA program - open for new testers
The demand for bringing Locus Map to the iOS platform has been overwhelming, and we truly hear you all! :)
For years, we've had a straightforward response: Not possible. iOS isn't as open as Android, which restricts the level of customization and full utilization of Locus Map's main capabilities. Moreover, funding such development solely from the old Locus Map Pro was a challenge. However, times change, and both mobile platforms and Locus Map itself have evolved, making this argument obsolete. Even on Android, certain modifications have been necessary due to its decreasing openness. For instance, some of you might recall the difficulties with migrating app data to a private directory, something we weren't happy about either!
Secondly, thanks to Locus Map 4 and our supportive users embracing its new features, we've encountered new opportunities. We are immensely grateful for that! 🙂 One such opportunity is transforming Locus Map from being "just an app" into a full-fledged service, which naturally requires presence on both major mobile platforms. Additionally, not only do we want you to enjoy Locus Map on iOS, but it also opens doors for exciting new features in the future.
Therefore, we've been diligently working behind the scenes to make this happen. However, the task is not simple, as the Android version of Locus Map has had 12 years of continuous development, resulting in an astonishing array of features and customization options. That is what defines Locus Map, and we want to be transparent that achieving the same level on iOS will take time.
Starting today, if you send us your request, we will add your email to the list of testers for our upcoming app called "Locus Map Lite," which is not yet publicly available. Eventually, this Lite version will evolve into the full-fledged "Locus Map," but it will be a gradual journey.
What can you do with the Lite version currently?
- Browse online worldwide LoMaps, including LoPoints.
- Search for locations using our new search feature.
- Record activities.
- Log in with your account.
- Utilize MyLibrary for your tracks or points.
- Synchronize MyLibrary with the cloud (other devices, including Androids or https://web.locusmap.app/ ) if the account is Gold Premium.
What features are currently missing?
- Registration of new accounts.
- Only online LoMaps are accessible; other maps are not supported.
- No route planner.
- Navigation capabilities are limited to manual following of the line on the map.
- Offline features are not available except for activity recording.
- Imports/exports, sharing features as well as many other features are not yet implemented
Who is this build for? Anyone willing to help us with testing or who wants to experience what it currently offers!
Our priority is to verify the robustness of user data synchronization and gather feedback on the overall app experience from an iOS perspective. We especially welcome those migrating from Android with an already populated MyLibrary. If you meet this criterion and don't have Gold Premium, let us know, and we may provide a temporary voucher to activate it upon request.
A few notes about MyLibrary synchronization in this app build:
- If you already have your data in MyLibrary from using Locus Map on Android or the web, make sure to back them up before attempting synchronization on iOS! You can use the Backup feature on the Android app to avoid data loss in case the iOS version encounters any issues during synchronization (though we don't anticipate any problems!).
- Data synchronization can be triggered from the MyLibrary screen or within the app settings. Gold Premium is required for a logged-in account to use this feature.
- The background running of the synchronization process is currently limited. If you have a large initial data to download, keep the screen with the synchronization process on. The app disables the screen limit on this screen so it will be able to finish the process as soon as possible.
- The app cannot yet receive instant notifications about new data available for download from the web or other registered devices. Currently, the app checks for new data only once every 2 hours after the last attempt. So, if you create a new track on the web or elsewhere under your account, trigger the synchronization manually.
Glimpse of upcoming new MyLibrary
There are even some first on the iOS platform for us. MyLibrary UI here is already built in mind of new features which we are working on. For example it will allow you to place both waypoints and tracks under the same folder in the future. So we hope you don’t be too confused by some quirks of this transitory version.
Still with us? Interested in applying for our closed BETA testing? Here's what you need to do:
- Create a new private ticket here.
- Provide us email of Apple ID and optionally Locus Map account.
- Let us know if you already have Premium activated and whether you synchronized some of your data to our cloud in the past.
- Set your post as a question.
In the first wave, we plan to grant access to only a limited number of testers to ensure we can handle the feedback effectively. However, subsequent waves will likely follow quickly.
Once you're accepted into the BETA, you'll be able to download or update the app using "TestFlight," which can be found on the Apple App Store.
We eagerly await your feedback either here or via tickets with your requests!
Jan, Locus team