Locus Map Lite iOS BETA program - general thread

Jan Čapek shared this question 9 months ago
In Progress

Hi everyone,

The demand for bringing Locus Map to the iOS platform has been overwhelming, and we truly hear you all!

Therefore we already have active BETA program through which you can help us with this endeavor. If you send us your request with all necessities, we will consider to include you to the list of testers for our upcoming iOS app called "Locus Map Lite," which is not yet publicly available. Public release date is scheduled during this year. Eventually, this Lite version will evolve into the full-fledged "Locus Map," but it will be a gradual journey.

What can you do with the Lite BETA version currently?

• Browse online worldwide LoMaps, including LoPoints.
  • Search for locations using our new online search service.
  • Record activities.
  • Utilize MyLibrary for your tracks or points.
  • Account login or registration
  • Synchronize MyLibrary with the cloud (and other devices, including Androids or web portal https://web.locusmap.app/ ) - Gold Premium required.
  • Activation of Premium via redeeming voucher bought from https://www.locusmap.app/voucher/
  • uploading photos to LoPoints / user LoPoints photos gallery

What features are currently missing?

• Only online LoMaps are accessible; other maps are not supported.
  • No route planner.
  • Navigation capabilities are limited to manual following of the line on the map.
  • Offline features are not available except for activity recording.
  • Imports/exports, sharing features as well as many other features are not yet implemented

Who is this build for? Anyone willing to help us with testing or who wants to experience what it currently offers!

Our priority is to verify the robustness of user data synchronization and gather feedback on the overall app experience from an iOS perspective. We especially welcome those migrating from Android with an already populated MyLibrary. If you meet this criterion and don't have Gold Premium, let us know, and we may provide a temporary voucher to activate it upon request.

A few notes about MyLibrary synchronization in this app build:

• If you already have your data in MyLibrary from using Locus Map on Android or the web, make sure to back them up before attempting synchronization on iOS! You can use the Backup feature on the Android app to avoid data loss in case the iOS version encounters any issues during synchronization (though we don't anticipate any problems!).
  • Data synchronization can be triggered from the MyLibrary screen or within the app settings. Gold Premium is required for a logged-in account to use this feature.
  • The background running of the synchronization process is currently limited. If you have a large initial data to download, keep the screen with the synchronization process on. The app disables the screen limit on this screen so it will be able to finish the process as soon as possible.
  • The app cannot yet receive instant notifications about new data available for download from the web or other registered devices. Currently, the app checks for new data only once every 2 hours after the last attempt. So, if you create a new track on the web or elsewhere under your account, trigger the synchronization manually.

Glimpse of upcoming new MyLibrary

There are even some first on the iOS platform for us. MyLibrary UI here is already built in mind of new features which we are working on. For example it will allow you to place both waypoints and tracks under the same folder in the future. So we hope you don’t be too confused by some quirks of this transitory version.

Still with us? Interested in applying for our closed BETA testing? Here's what you need to do:

1. Create a new private ticket here.
  2. Write to the text your Apple ID email and optionally Locus Map account (and which is which if they are different).
  3. Let us know if you already have Premium activated and whether you synchronized some of your data to our cloud in the past.
  4. Set your post as a question.

We process new requests for joining to BETA only about once a month during releasing new BETA build.

Once you're accepted into the BETA, you'll be able to download or update the app using "TestFlight," which can be found on the Apple App Store.

How to provide feedback
- For discussion about smaller subjective topics, like UI intuitiveness, please write to this thread so other BETA users might react.
- For bigger topics it would be great if you create new idea here: https://help.locusmap.eu/topic/add
- for questions just to us developers, you can ask in same private topics where you request to joining the BETA program.

We eagerly await your thoughts on this!

Jan, Locus team

EDITED: 5.1.2024

Replies (62)

photo

Hi, thanks to all who already requested to join the beta program. Only first few got access so far, as we quickly discovered some issue preventing some of you to test what we need. This is sorted now, so during today second wave of invitations will be sent.

As previously mentioned we are now focused to test and ensure, that synchronization process works well and everyone personal databases of tracks and waypoints are transferred properly both ways on any scenario. Of course best case for us is when you can synchronize it even with Android device. All others might benefit at least from synchronization with our web planner - https://web.locusmap.app . Any other feedback is welcomed too of course!

See 2 attached screenshots bellow showing where to activate data synchronization once you have Gold Premium under your account. Be default it is not enabled.

8a21c3f484211544e80dc92ae82a6b15

photo

Dzień dobry, na jakim urządzeniu to mam zrobić , ??

Iphone , Mac ? przeglądarka?

Kod otrzymany nie działa , proszę ponownie przesłać!

Mariusz Porwolik

Od: Locus Map <locus.map@asamm.com>

Data: piątek, 4 sierpnia 2023 o 11:45

Do: Mariusz Porwolik <porwolikm@gmail.com>

Temat: New Comment in "Locus Map Lite iOS BETA program - open for new testers"

photo

Hi Mariusz, as mentioned in your personal ticket, I didn't received any requested info from you yet. In case you will provide them, we will add you to the list to candidates for participants of BETA program.

photo

Ticket ID32470-08-04

photo

To all invited testers, we are experiencing some issue now with enabling Premium for accounts where it was activated by voucher. I will report once this will be resolved. You will have Gold or Silver activated within the app only if you see this under your account!

bc96a9b68047d7f522c54c8b58bbf6b3

photo

Ikona GPS nie zmienia się na zielono, przy planowaniu trasy, podczas zapisywania ze względu na niedokładność ustawień punktów, kiedyś usredniało położenie punktu(większa tolerancja).Pozdrawiam

photo

Hi all, last week the testing didn't go pretty well as we are yet to fix issue of synchronization with cloud when user have activated Premium by voucher, which is most of the current testers. I will report as soon as this will be finally fixed.

photo

Update: We finally fixed synchronizations issues for voucher enabled Premiums. Sorry for lots of confusion in recent days. Unfortunately we were hurry to introduce ability to redeem voucher on web and iOS and it brings many unexpected issues. Even after we fixed that the app reported Premium status properly the synchro and web planner still wasn't fully usable. All this is fixed now so all testers can continue and finally try to to sync data with Locus Cloud. Thank you for your patience.

photo

Problemem jest teraz

photo

Hi Mariusz, I would like to ask you to write in English in this public forum for others to follow or use your private ticket. Thanks.

Can you please try to log-out and log-in again? Is it still same?

photo

Sorry, Yes problem is still.

photo

I think I see the reason why your account is in this state, will confirm it with colleagues and hopefully fix it tomorrow. Thanks.

photo

0.4.6 (39) installed

Bascially UI is working fine.

Buttons at the main screen are little small for my personal preference

Recording Profile is only cycling - under clycling I see cycle and walk.

Track recording --> 3 Buttons are too large for me. Track recording worked, also the sync with Locus Cloud.

photo

Hi Bernd,
please send us screenshot of your main screen to verify whether all is rendered as intended - as you are among those who experience also those 3 large buttons on track recording dialog (which was already fixed for next release).

Walk is not under cycling profile, I believe it is just not really intuitive button to open list to select the profile. We will think how to improve it to be more intuitive (considering the available space). That is exactly the reports what we need to hear now, so thanks! :)

photo

Hi,

2 screenshots from my phone.

Best Regards

Bernd

photo

Hi Bernd,

Thank you for your screenshots. I apologize for a little bit confusing UI for selecting recording profile. We will change it in next release. There are only two built in profiles (walking and cycling) but you can easily create your own profile. From "Track recording" tap on selected profile and you will see list of all available recording profiles (actually this is confusing). You can tap on + and new recording profile will be created. If you switch to edit mode by tapping on Edit button, you can rename selected profile and change its parameters. It is important to select proper activity because system location services use this information. You can also change distance and time between samples according your needs and target folder for storing recorded tracks. I can see from your screenshots that you are tracking some boat trip so it can be really helpful to create your own recording profile and tune recording parameters.

photo
photo

Hi Petr,

Thanks for explanation.

I can create my own recording profiles and save it - I found it in the menu.

Regards

Bernd

photo

Hi,

Can you check the function visible/non visible for recorded tracks. For me it works currently the opposite way.

If the recorded track is marked non visible, I can see it in the map.

If it’s marked visible, I can‘t see it.

Regards

Bernd

photo

Hi Berndt,

Thank you for your feedback. Eye symbol in bottom status bar is actually button, not visibility of the track. If track is hidden, eye (make track visible) is shown. You are not the first one who is pointing at this problem. If you have some idea how to clarify this situation in UI, please give us some hint. Current UI is not final version and we can change it.

Cheers,

Petr

photo

Personally I would just swap the icons round so the eye shows that the track is currently visible and the crossed out eye shows that it is invisible. But it's not a big deal - either way has disadvantages - but once you know what the symbol means, you soon get used to it.

photo

Thanks, this is definitely topic which we want to think through more also in relation to other similar future toggles. Current state is indeed not optimal.

photo
photo

Hi Petr,

understood. For me it is misleading.I

I would prefer if the button is indicating tracks is shown or not shown.

If you have a version logic behind it, then it is also possible to get used to it.

Regards,

Bernd

photo

Sorry I mean logic to version

photo

Hi Bernd,

I'll discuss it with Jan when he is back from holiday. It is not a problem to change it.

Cheers,

Petr

photo
photo

Still testing the beta version and really enjoying it. I think it's pretty well designed and the UI is simple and uncluttered. Main thing that needs looking at from my point of view is offline mapping and adding distance markers along tracks and routes so you can check progress and take in the main features of a track at a single glance. Also I can't see the photos that I added to waypoints as I was recording but I guess that is something that can be sorted out later. Looking forward to continuing the test program.

photo

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your feedback. Offline maps are huge topic and it will take some time to implement this feature. We don't know, how many people will request it. Maybe other users will ask for it in this forum and we will give it higher priority.
There are more possibilities how to display distance markers along tracks and routes. Should they display distance (for instance 1 km) from the beginning of the track as it is displayed on enclosed screenshot from Android version?
Waypoint photos are stored, but not displayed yet. I'll include this feature in some upgrade.

Cheers,

Petr

photo

you said "Offline maps are huge topic and it will take some time to implement this feature. We don't know, how many people will request it. Maybe other users will ask for it in this forum and we will give it higher priority."

I wanted to chime in to say this is an important feature. My primary use case for Locus is outdoor activities in areas with no cell tower coverage.

I switched to iPhone recently. Before I switched, I found some iOS apps that I thought would fill the gap left by the absence of Locus Maps. Several months later I have 5 iOS map apps loaded, and the combination of those 5 apps provides me less functionality than Locus Maps. So I'm saying that Locus is great, and I will probably go back to Android for my next phone if you can't make an iOS version of Locus.

photo

@dave: In the same boat. But try Mapy.cz if you haven't yet. For now, I've been using that on iOS and it's good.

photo
photo

Hi Petr thanks for the quick response. I Hope offline maps can be implemented at some point - the app would be quite hard to use when out in the mountains etc if they aren’t available. Also you will rack up huge mobile phone data charges if you’re online all the time rather than downloading over wifi before you set off. But I guess you know all this already!

In terms of the distance markers, I’d just put small icons with numbers in showing the distance from the start of the track or route in km. See attached example from the now-defunct Viewranger app. I think it should be fairly easy to do and would be a really positive feature for the app. Thanks. Adam.

photo

Hi Adam, there is indeed no "full" Locus Map without its offline capabilities or maps. We are well aware of that and it is also one of the reason, why there is that "Lite" in the app name for now. Offline maps are for sure on our priority list, but unfortunately not for anytime soon yet as we are currently focusing on bringing other missing essential features. Lets see what next year brings in this!

photo
photo

I don’t think my screenshot came through. I will try again.

photo

Hopefully the screenshot comes through this time.

photo

Thanks for screenshot. This is basically the same system, only marks are different.

photo

Excellent. Hope it can be implemented! Thanks. Adam.

photo
photo

Hi,

the offline maps would really be great as next step.

For hiking in the mountains you can’t rely on a mobile network. Most of the Locus Users I know us it for outdoor activities- with the advantage of offline maps and following tracks.

Regards

Bernd

photo

Hi Jan,
thanks for reply. As mobile network in my area is not reliable as it should - offline maps are really good.
Got your point - hope you shift prio a little bit.

Regards,
Bernd

photo
photo

witam, pojawił się problem z synchronizacją nagranych utworów. Prawdopodobnie wtedy, gdy do chmury można było wysłać dwie trasy jednocześnie. Spróbuję odtworzyć problem.

photo

Hi Mariusz,

I understand spoken and written Polish quit well, but I can't write so I'll answer in English. Thanks for report, we will investigate according incident id and I'll inform you later.

photo

Hi Mariusz,

Thanks a lot for your report. The problem was in missing location points in recorded route. It means that recorded points were not written in database in time of synchronization. The track name was "2023-08-24T11:21:48+02:00". Does this track still exist in your library? Thanks.

photo
photo

Hello, where are the photos taken during the recording of the route?

photo

Hi Mariusz,

Photos are stored in the local file system. I'll implement displaying of waypoints and photos in detail views in some future update. In the meantime you can switch on option "Copy photos to PhotoLibrary" settings to store photos also in PhotoLibrary.

photo
photo

po naciśnięciu w nagranej trasie „miniatura” zawiesza się.

photo

Hi Mariusz,

Thanks for bug report. I'm not sure, how can I reproduce this problem. Can you please write more details?

If content of the folder is not displayed, It should be possible to press "Back" or swipe back to go one level up and then again go in to target folder. The folder content should be displayed. Nevertheless it is bug and I would like to find the reason.

photo
photo

Ahoj ;-)

je správně, že se místo ikonek co jsou na webu obrazují jen íčka v modrém poli ?

photo

Zdravím,

děkuji za dotaz. Které ikony máte na mysli? Pokud se bavíme o ikonách bodů v knihovně, tak pro většinu by se měly zobrazovat přiřazené ikony. Problém může nastat, pokud je ikona stahována z internetu, připojení není k dispozici a ikona ještě nebyla stažena na lokální disk. Speciální ikony pro geocaching rovněž ještě nejsou zobrazovány. Potřeboval bych ale více informací nebo snímek obrazovky. Díky.

photo

Ano, posílám nějaké screeny ale v zásadě se jedná o kešky a labky. Zajímavé je že Garminí obrázek "summit" se zobrazuje. Přidal jsem nějaké screeny. I ty zakroužkovaný se zobrazují jako i. Zakládal jsem je ale ještě na androidim telefonu, tak to může být tim.

Je nejaky odhad kdy se budou zobrazovat kešky?

photo

Zdravím, díky za obrázky. Ikony pro kešky jsou poměrně komplikované a berou se z několika zdrojů, z nichž některé zatím nejsou na iOS z časových důvodů implementovány. To se týká hlavně kešek. Pak je zobrazena ta standardní ikona "i". Až se vrátí z dovolené autor a znalec toho systému, tak to s ním prodiskutuji a snad i implementuji. Zatím prosím o trochu trpělivosti. Díky.

photo
photo

Hi there

I just tested out ver 0.4.99(55)

Overall impressions still very good.

Suggestions:

1) I’d still like to be able to see distance markers along routes and tracks

2) It would be better if in the library of my recorded routes, the default sort order was newest at the top not the bottom

3) Would be good to be able to export GPX files of recorded tracks from within the app rather than having to go to the website

4) When recording a track, in the info screen it would be more useful to show cumulative metres ascended and cumulative m descended, than distance (uphill) and distance (downhill)

5) Photos still not showing in recorded routes

6) Offline maps…

Thanks. I’m really enjoying using the app.

Adam

photo

Hi Adam,

Thank you for your response. I'll try to answer some questions.

1) It is in my ToDo list. It is not so much requested feature so priority is still low.

2) You are right. This is wrong. I'll change it in next update. Nevertheless, it will affect only new app installation. For you is better to change track sorting order in menu.

3) GPX import and export is planned before first app release in app store.

5) Next update will contain search improvements and following one will bring full LoPoint media support. I'm planning to include track's waypoints details to this update.

photo
photo

Sorry one more thing. The track that I recorded today hasn’t appeared in my library on the website, even though it is in my library in the app. I’ve pressed the “sync now” button several times but it doesn’t appear to be syncing. Previous beta versions seemed to sync fine.

Thanks

Adam

photo

Hi Adam,

I've just tried to record and sync track. It was working normally.

> I’ve pressed the “sync now” button several times but it doesn’t appear to be syncing.

It means system doesn't detect any changes in My Library compare to server version. Please try also refresh button in your web browser. It helps sometimes. Please let me know if track was synchronized.

photo
photo

Hi Petr yes it eventually synchronised about an hour later. Not sure what was going on. I’ll keep an eye on it next time I use the app. Thanks. Adam.

photo

Hi Adam, thanks a lot. Petr.

photo

Hi Adam, if you are replying to some sub-thread, please use respective text input directly under it. It is starting to be bit messy there, thanks! :)

photo
photo

Hi,I just draw a track in the web application - the height increase total is 883 hm. If I open the track in the locus app, the height increase with the track is 497 hm.

I think the app is right here.
Do you have a update on the offline map topic?

Regards,

Bernd

photo

Screenshot from app

photo

Hi Bernd,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We are investigating this case and I have some questions. Where did this track come from? Is it recorded or planned track? It looks like planned track (track time in app is zero). If it is planned track then I'll pass this case directly to my colleague. It would also help, if you can share (see screenshot) this track so we can have a look in detail. Thanks a lot.

photo

Hi Petr,
I have drawn the track in the locus web app.
Then saved it to the cloud and opened it again in the locus app Ios.

Link to the web app track:

https://link.locusmap.app/t/cejpse

Best Regards,
Bernd

photo

Hey Bernd,

Thanks for sticking with us over the years! We're aware of the elevation difference between our web and app versions—it's due to different algorithms. We're on it, aiming to improve the web planner soon. So, there might be a few hiccups for now.

Really appreciate your patience and understanding. We're on the case!

Cheers,

Ondrej from Locus

photo

Hi Petr,
is sharing of the track temporary? If not, I just want to disable sharing as it is posted public.
Regards,
Bernd

photo

Hi Bernd,

Yes, you can disable sharing.

Cheers,

Petr

photo

How to delete a saved route? Maybe add "Delete" when editing?

photo

I still can't find the photos while recording the route? It syncs tracks fine.

photo

There are two ways how to delete routes in My Library folder:

1. Swipe from right edge and tap delete (see attached pic).

2. Tap edit, select routes to delete and tap delete button.

I'm sorry for still missing waypoint's data in track detail. Next update (hopefully this week) will bring huge search improvements and next update will contain LoMedia support and also waypoints details.

photo
photo

Please continue below this comment and use one thread per topic. Use "Leave a Comment" If you want to start new topic. Use "Replay" if you want to add comment to already existing discussion. Thanks.

photo

How to delete track in planer browser?

photo

Hi,

It is not possible to delete track in web planner. This feature is currently under development.

photo
photo

Hi all, you can now finally login to our web planner (https://web.locusmap.app/) with AppleID or complete account registration here. So this barrier for you guys to use it should now be gone.

photo

Note: it is easier to plan a route if, after selecting a bicycle, only bicycle routes, paths, etc. are visible

photo

Just done a quick test of Ver 0.4.12. The main problem I still have is getting the tracks I record on the app to synchronise with the website. The track I recorded this afternoon hasn’t appeared on the website, even though I have pressed the “Sync now” button several times.

I didn’t spot any other issues except of course I would still like to see distance markers on tracks, and offline maps. Keep up the good work. Adam.

photo

Hi Adam,

Thanks for testing new version. Did you try to refresh web page in your browser?

I'll pass this problem to my colleague.

photo
photo

Hi thanks for getting back to me. Yes, I refreshed the browser a few times, also logged out and logged in again, and even rebooted my phone - and the track I recorded yesterday still hasn’t uploaded. Adam.

photo

Hi Adam,

Thanks a lot for your report. We found possible bug in iOS app. I'll fix it in next version hopefully this week. The workaround is very simple. You can change track's name or other property in iOS app. This will change track update time and start new synchronization. Please let me know if it helps.

photo
photo

Hi Petr thanks for this. I renamed my recorded track in the app and it uploaded straight away. A nice easy work-around! Adam.

photo

Hi Adam, thanks for your bug report. I'll fix this bug in next version. Petr

photo
photo

Niestety nie synchronizuje się z aplikacją do planera

photo

Hi,

Please try these two steps, if some route can't be synchronized to server:

1. Change route name or another route properties in the app. Synchronization will start automatically in few seconds or you can start it manually.

2. If previous step doesn't help, then refresh page in your web browser.

This is temporary workaround for bug in app. It will be fixed soon.

photo
photo

I wrote ticket about iOS beta. Please add me.

photo

Hi,

Thank you for possibility be part of testers. As owner of both LM app on Android is good to test iOS. Will be good to see in Lite version some of the Pro version things.

For now:

1) Maps are flat, shadows not look so good as on Android.

2) Missing sea level indicator.

3) Missing coordination grid

Thank you

photo

yes, it worked. Navigation is almost impossible because you can't turn off the screensaver.

photo

Hi Roman, there are literally hundreds of features missing compared to its Android counterpart for now. For now it is still not even ready for public release. But thanks for feedback, we like to correct our priorities in development based on it.

photo
photo

Not working to keep finger on my possition button to lock my position.

photo

This is good point, we will most likely move priority of this feature further up. Thanks

photo
photo

I just tested beta ver 0.4.13 and can confirm that upload of recorded tracks works fine now (though photos still aren’t visible). Thanks for fixing it.

By the way I really like the way that tapping the location point brings up a “blue fan” showing which direction you are pointing. It’s really useful. Only thing I’d suggest is that the fan could be a bit bigger and a bit brighter as it’s quite hard to see.

photo

Hi Adam,

Thank you for testing new version. I’m glad that synchronization problem was fixed. According fan, I’ll have a look into documentation and try to improve its visibility. I think it is a good point.

photo
photo

Today, problem.

photo

After closing and reopening, synchronization was successful as I entered the library and not directly onto the route.

photo
photo

Hi all, the number of requests for beta testing is keep increasing. Currently we are waiting for release of next build before letting in some of you who requested access in recent days. Can't promise that we would be able to respond to everybody in private tickets immediately after that (which we always do when granting access). But fear not, we keep records of all requests and get back to them every time we want to increase size of testing community. Thanks all for your interest in our iOS efforts!

photo

Hi Jan,

good to hear there is in plan next build.

Are there any exact testing scenarios what we should focus on?

Thanks

photo

There are ALWAYS plans for next build(s) here... :)

What to focus on will be provided on update message after the installation.

photo

Great :-) 👍🤗

photo
photo

Hi, after you update to version 0.4.16 (currently in review before release), we have one specific request. When opening main menu, any LoPoint, user waypoint or track from map screen, the dialog will have short line on top of it indicating that user can swipe on it to manipulate with the dialog. Please let us know in case this line appear white for your as on picture bellow compared to ordinary gray.

We are trying to catch strange bug on one of our test units which causes to automatically close or even open such dialogs without user action and this might be closely related.

Thanks

ad65afee3937fc165c0d1a28f80b3a95

photo

hi
is it possible to make a build for ios 15.8?
I use an old SE for hiking
thx

photo

Hi Attila,
Thanks for your question. Answer is not so clear yet and I’ll try to explain why. In time when our company decided to develop version of Locus Map for iOS, Apple was releasing new framework for building UI interfaces for their platforms called SwiftUI. It should replace previously used framework called UIKit. We decided to use new framework because it can speed up app development and avoid some problems with compatibility in the future. Unfortunately new frameworks have always some limitations. iOS 15 supports SwiftUI, but lacks some features we currently use. It would take some time to implement and maintain more versions of UI and we decided to rather use this time for adding missing features to app.
We were also internally talking about supporting older devices due to reason you mentioned in your question - many people use older phones for hiking. So future support of iOS 15 depends on commercial results. If there is a demand for it, we will put some time to support also iOS 15. But for the first release of app in spring 2024 we use iOS 16 and higher.

photo

Thanks
This is understandable and futureproof
I'm looking for a newer device.
May you send a new testflight code? I will ask it on my ticket

photo
photo

Hi there

I got an email this morning saying my three month trial of “Premium has just expired”. Does that mean I can’t continue to participate in the iOS beta test?

Thanks

Adam

photo

Hi Adam, I don't think so, check my other message. ;)

photo
photo

I recently had a chance to try the Beta. For the most part, it worked really nicely, thanks! A few comments:

- As one of the first things, I wanted to import a downloaded gpx track on the phone, but didn't manage to. Might not be possible, or I didn't find how. I ended up setting up the synchronization, and importing on the web interface, but ever there it was not obvious how to do at first. It worked in the end, but I feel like this basic feature should be more intuitive.

- Recording a track worked fine.

- After the initial use, I installed LC 4 on my old Android (I'm a longtime LC 3 user) and enabled the sync of tracks there. That seemed to have worked fine, also synching to the iPhone afterwards.

- During recording, I open opened the tack-stats by clicking on the bottom-left button. I found it a bit awkward to close the stats and get back to the main map screen. It works with swiping the overlay to the right. But often I missed the right spot and it only scrolled the map. Maybe the button to open should remain at the same location and also allow to close.

- The UX for the folders and track files is a bit un-intuitive in parts. For example, I first tried to delete an empty folder by going to edit. I say the bin-symbol, but it doesn't do anything for an empty folder. Turns out this would be to delete selected entries in the folder (but there were of course none for an empty folder). You have to go to the parent folder, then go to edit, then select the empty folder and then delete it.

- Offline maps is also high on my feature wish-list as others have mentioned here.

Regardless, I'm really looking forward to the release. Keep up the good work!

Best,
Nikolaus

photo

Hello Nikolaus,

Thank you very much for your feedback. I’ll try to answer all your questions.

> I wanted to import a downloaded gpx track on the phone…

Import and export of gpx is not supported on the iOS version yet, but it is planned and app will contain this feature before launch in the AppStore.

> UX for track recording.

You are right with track recording view. The style and placement of this view is based on Android version, but there are some internal limitations on iOS. We use MapLibre library for displaying maps (Android version doesn’t). This library also handles all gestures before any other part of the UI. Therefore it is sometimes difficult to handle correctly all gestures. I still think about moving track recording to standard bottom sheet (the same style like for instance LoPoint detail). Would it be better solution for this view? It is not a problem to change it. Maybe also other testers can write some opinions about this topic.

> UX for tracks and points

> For example, I first tried to delete an empty folder by going to edit. I say the bin-symbol, but it doesn't do anything for an empty folder…

Well, it should work like that. I’ll try to add possibility to delete empty folder directly from empty folder. It is a little bit confusing because then app has to automatically move to parent folder.

Nevertheless, you don’t need to switch to edit mode to delete folder. You can use swipe action gestures on folder item (swipe from right to left shows action for moving or deleting folder). Edit mode should be used for applying one action to many selected items.

> Offline maps.

Thanks, the demand for this feature is really high. But this question is mostly for management and I can’t answer it.

photo
photo

There is no offline map in the ios version

photo

Hi Jan and Locus team,

I found strange thing ralated to my save Points on the map. Im attaching few pictures. I marked middle, north, south, east and west of Prague. If I will start switching between these points the main info is still valid for the first Point what I selected first - mid of Prague.

I marked all these points as visible yesterday. Today after I open app all these points were invisible and was necessary to make them visibile again. Maybe in background is turn on to reset these user set up after midnight. Who knows :-)

ThanksTester Roman

photo

Hi Roman,

Thank you very much for your detailed report. I can confirm that switching between selected point details doesn’t work. I’ll fix it in next update. I couldn’t simulate change of visibility at the moment but I’ll investigate it later.

Cheers,

Petr Janda

photo
photo

Hi,
with the new update I lost the compass in the map screen. I want the map to rotate in moving direction.
Maybe I just don't find the proper way to get the compass back. Can you help me?

Regards,
Bernd

photo

Hi Bernd,

It should be possible to change between user tracking modes by tapping the centering button.

Regards,

Petr

photo

Hi Petr,

Thanks for the help.

It works like you described.

I was confused, as I wanted to rotate the map at a track at another location. When I pressed the button I was relocated to my location.

But I understand now how to rotate also at another location.

Have a nice weekend

Bernd

photo
photo

Hi all,

long time no closed BETA update and that also means no new round of approving requests for BETA testing in a while.

The reason is that we have in development some more complex stuff related to Premium accounts and we must wait until this part will be finalised in order to be able to update new version to closed beta. We expect to release it in about two weeks from now, so you guys will be able to do more tests and that is when we will go through all unresolved BETA join requests.

I hope the wait will be worthy and we will be closed to public release after that. Thanks for all your feedbacks so far - be it here or in separate tickets.

photo

Hi Jan. IT sounds great. Just question. New IOS 17.4 will allow installation of applications which are not part of App Store. Can we expect LocusMap for IOS will be part of App Store or will it be unofficial applicarion? Im glad I can to help with testing and I believe TY We will get full version of LocusMap as we know from Android. At least the closest possible version 😂

photo

Hi, we are definitely aiming to release it in App Store primarily.

It will take long time to be as feature rich as Android version, but we will grind towards this goal. ;)

photo

Hi Jan,

Thank you. Sounds good. :-)

photo
photo

Hi all, for some of you, latest available build which we released to our closed BETA group might already be time-outed, so you will no longer be able to use it. We expect that we will be able to release new build during next week as we will finally be able to release also required update to one of our infrastructure for that. So stay tuned!

photo

We stay tuned and eagerly await the next Beta build or maybe frist 1.0 version of Locus Map on IOs :-D

photo
photo

Hi there. Quick question. Does the latest version in beta test (0.5.18 (309)) support download of maps for offline use?

Thanks

Adam

photo

Hi Adam,

we are aware of the importance of offline maps for the app and working towards this goal. However it is not yet presented in current build and most likely will not be in the first public release planned in "few weeks time" as we are currently focusing on finalizing other in-app features to not delay public release any further.

photo

Ok, thanks. That’s good to know. Adam

photo
photo

Hi, last week we released new BETA build (0.5.18) enabling current members of BETA program to test and play with the app again. Pending requests to invite new members are processed during this week.

With this version, all iOS BETA members can activate Gold Premium for limited time (12 hours for yearly subscription) by going through ordinary process of purchasing subscription within the app. No money will be charged for such action in BETA. You can repeat this process anytime you like. We would be happy if you try it not only to test also Gold features (mainly data synchronization with our web portal - https://web.locusmap.app ), but also the payment process itself. Please let us know in case you run into any issue.

Looking forward to your feedbacks both here or in private tickets!

photo

hello, 1/it is difficult to navigate or follow the route when the screen goes blank. 2/After recording the route, hide does not work, you need to exit the application, then it will work and hide the route.

photo

Hi Mariusz,

Thank you for your feedback.

1. If I understand correctly your question, your phone screen switches off automatically after certain time according standard system settings. You can prevent this behavior in app settings. Please go to Locus Map main menu -> Settings -> Main map and switch on option "Keep display on". This will prevent screen to switch off while Locus Map is active. You can still switch off the screen with hardware button.

2. Thanks for info. I'll check this and fix in next release.

photo
photo

I have oné issue. When Im start app it is not show my aktual possition. It is somwhere in East Czechia - Vernířovice. I would like to expect open app and automatically is in my current possition.

photo

Hi Roman,

Locus Map normally centers map to current user location after app launch. There is one exception: if only one track is visible, map is zoomed to this track. Isn't this your case?

photo
photo

The “fan” pointing out from the location marker that used to show what direction your phone was pointing seems to have disappeared. Please could it be brought back, as it was really useful! Thanks. Adam.

photo

Hi Adam,

The "fan" didn't disappeared. You can switch between marker modes by tapping the centering button. Petr

photo
photo

Thanks Petr. I can see it now. It would be much better though if the fan appeared on both marker modes. At the moment I only ever use the “North locked” mode as the view when the whole map rotates around is too distracting. So if it could be added to the “north locked” mode as well as the rotating mode, that would be great. Thanks. Adam.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file