Shaping points to be preserved in export-Import on Android

Walther Schubert shared this question 7 months ago
Answered

I am planning routes on my tablet, wheras for navigation I am then using my smartphone.

Quite often, when on the road, I would need to modify the route due to current conditions.

But the track does not contain any shaping point. So this is nearly impossible with an, let's say, 80 km track

Is there a way to preserve the shaping points? Did I miss something?

Replies (6)

photo

There is this issue some other people also have https://help.locusmap.eu/topic/26347-shaping-points-get-lost-from-saved-route-planner-tracks

Alternatively you can add shaping points, albeit not very intuitevely. In the route planner tap the route in the place you want to add a point to - tap trackpoint info icon in the upper right corner of the segment panel - "convert" the point the a shaping one. See screeshot.

photo

Ok, this is a workaround. But for that the planning mode has to be set to manually. Otherwise the route before and after the new shaping point will be calculated anew, what is presumably not wanted.

In fact, in order to modify a route, you first have to set two shaping points in manual mode to mark start and end the segment you want to modify and preserve the rest of the route.

Secondly you can set new shaping points in one of the non manual modex and move them to new locations.

BTW: The other topic you referred to has nothing to do with this issue on import/export. It reports a bug of loosing shaping points internally when saving and re-opening routes with the route planner.

photo
photo

You are right. I assumed you use the same device. But then, I often do route planning on the locus web and then share the track to my phone (basically export and import it again, I suppose) and some shaping points are randomly preserved while some are not. So maybe this is a part of the same issue.

photo

I think I read somewhere in the forum that export from WebPlanner preserves shaping points by adding custom xml tags to tracking points marking them as SP.

But this is web planner only and does not work likewise in Locus for Android.

photo

Got it. Did not now such details.

photo
photo

Hi Walther,

shaping points are preserved only in routes that are planned in the Locus Map route planner because they are proprietary for this particular app. Imported routes do not contain shaping points. When you want to re-route an imported route, open it in Locus route planner. Locus adds random shaping points to it and the segments between are in manual mode. Change the mode to the desired routing profile and re-plan the route.

photo

As I said, I transfer routes planned with Locus on my tablet to Locus on my smartphone.

The procedure you suggest works, but is rather odd.

The planning mode has to be set to manual before you are going to open the imported route with route planner. That is, you have to open route planner, set it to manual, close it and only then open the route.

If you don't do so, no random SP are inserted.

And if you once opened the route not with manual mode activated, this procedure does not work anymore, that is, you can open the route again and again in whatever routing mode, but no SP where inserted anymore. The procedure works only once.

photo

I do not work with the Web Planner. But I have imported a normal track. The planner was on hiking and I opened it in the planner. After that shaping points were present as manual. But it still does not run optimal. More in the next post.

photo
photo

@Michal Stupka

As already written, loading a track into the planner works and this also creates shaping points (SP). These are displayed as manual. Why ?
If I then go to regenerate the track is created but to a large extent on other ways.
This is because the planner creates too few SP. Here should be created significantly more. Rather clearly too much than too little. It is not much memory. or are there any other disadvantages with a lot of SP?

photo

@Michal Stupka

Another problem is that the route is calculated differently in some places even with more SP. But this can not be avoided. But after the recalculation I don't know where the old route was and therefore I can't detect any deviation.

Therefore, the old route should be displayed as yellow in the background. So it is only visible where the deviates. And I can rework there.

If a red exclamation mark appears at the places, that would be great. Whether this is technically feasible I do not know.

Should I create a proposal or do they implement it right away ? If yes how should I call it.

After saving, the yellow (old) can then be deleted

photo

The issue is that Locus (Androidl does not export any SP.

You can analize it, when you open the exported gpx as text with a normal text editor.

If you have created waypoints (the blue squares), they will be present in the very beginning after general Infos, followed by the track and its trackpoints. Tags which would represent SPs are missing.

photo

As discussed in another forum or help topics, BRouter works around this issue of too many/ too few shaping points, by allowing the user to deciding interactively with a "Fuzziness" slider when the track is loaded. Seems like a nice solution.c7ca81cc593479a5b3990d0c525c5c10

photo

Hi Menion,

is this an official answer?

I wonder what might be the big difference between shaping points and via points in terms of import/export.

When I set the planner to create via points instead of shaping points, they all are preserved perfectly.

photo
photo

Hello Walter, others

am I understanding correctly, that you plan routes on a tablet and then transfer them over GPX files into your phone? Not just the original plan is lost, but also some other metadata. The best, how to do this is using the sync system of Gold Premium, which preserves all data because it transfers identical routes/points to what is stored in the database.

Support for "shaping points" in GPX is simply complicated for me. Shaping points are not directly included in the route. The whole plan is one big JSON file stored separately so it is hard to export to GPX as well. I really hope this won't be necessary to do.

photo

Hello Menion,

thanks for your detailed answer.

I get along now with creating via points instead of shaping points. Currently I see no backdrop with this method.

As to your hint on synchronisation: I do not use any of the supported cloud services for reasons. I am running my own private and secured cloud with Nextcloud. I assume I am not alone with such a set up.

Maybe sometimes in near future you will implement an interface to WebDAV as others and I suggested since a while in another thread 😀?

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file